Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bananas

HI,

I notice when I eat bananas I get more muscle stiffness. Or when I go without eating I am very stiff until I eat then I am much better. Why is this ? Thanks :)

Re: Bananas

Gia, I have the same reaction to bananas. They can increase potassium levels very quickly and some of us seem to be more sensitive to that. Others say it doesn't affect them at all, so perhaps it has to do with certain mutations.

When you skip meals your blood sugar begins to drop and when the brain begins to get low on glucose the adrenal glands release adrenaline to stimulate glucagon secretion, which in turn converts stored glycogen to glucose. Since the chloride channels are inhibited by adrenaline, this makes us stiffer. It's good to eat several smaller meals throughout the day to help keep this from happening.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Hi Gia:

I don't have problems with bananas, or any other food really, but fasting or a reduced calorie diet can make my myotonia worse.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

I'm going to revise this.

Licorice. I love licorice but if I eat too much I get weak. It causes a drop in potassium levels and I think that's the mechanism by which it's making me weak.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

I think our feedback mechanism is messed up and we have lower tolerance than normal for both high and low potassium. I do find that if I use a little licorice root every day then I can handle fruits much better.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's