Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diclofenic v BP tablets

I was diagnosed in the early 1970s (now 53) and have for the past 30+ years taken what was first Volterol and now Diclofenic anti inflammatory tablet together with 30/500mg of Co-codemol.

A recent TV medical announcement means that because I am on BP tabs for high blood pressure I have been taken off my anti - inflams. I struggle to sleep due to pain at rest (have arthritis as well) and wonder if anyone has any ideas as to what I can take to help with pain. Doc suggests sleeping tabs and increasing my pain relief to a morphine based drug - not really wanting to go there.

Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks. Wish I had spotted this site a long time ago.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Diclofenic v BP tablets

I am not able to tolerate any anti-inflammatories so I had to find natural treatments for pain. There are a few things that really help me.

The main supplement I use is the amino acid L-Histidine which has been proven beneficial for arthritis and is a natural anti-inflammatory. The dose is 500-1000 mg per day. You need to be sure you're getting a little zinc in a daily vitamin supplement.

DHEA is a good anti-inflammatory because it helps increase cortisol naturally. 5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin which helps with sleep.

Many people take the combination glucosamine and chondroitin for arthritis in the US. I have never used them so I can't tell you how effective they are from personal experience.

I'm with you on wanting to avoid the morphines/opiates if possible.

Jan

Thanks Jan for the info. I use the glucosamine and chondroitin tablets but can't really say how much, if any, difference they make.

I'll take your recommendations to my GP when I see him next week.

Thanks again.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Hi JK, all i take is paracetamol and ibuprofen then massage my muscles and that really helps. However it may take 10 minutes to start working.

Type of Myotonia: becker

Thanks Kerry

I can't taken bruffen due to BP.

KJ