Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Going out at night

My worst time of day is usually about 11am to 4pm. I start perking up a bit later in the day but I do get pretty tired if I'm out past 9 or so.

If you can avoid eating carbs and high protein later in the day and stick more with fruit or vegetables before going out that might help. Sipping on orange juice or grapefruit juice can help keep you stay more alert. I used to carry little cans of OJ around with me at night because I was often playing in concerts and had to be wide awake.

Foods high in histamines can also help you feel more alert later in the day. Those would include things like strawberries, pineapple, tomatoes, papaya, spinach, nuts and cultured dairy products (yogurt or cheeses).

Some people are very sensitive to increasing serotonin levels later in the day. That can make you feel tired and weak because your brain is ready for sleep. Bright lighting through the afternoon and evening helps ward that off.

Hope you get to attend the meetings!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Thank you for the suggestions, Jan. I will certainly try them!

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Mary:
I have a similar problem. My day tends to be somewhat condensed because of it and I've had to turn down some social invitations because I really just needed to get home and rest.

But you mentioned you get weak if you rest....I get a type of weakness that gets worse if I rest, and that I can sometimes walk off. I usually get this when it's been hot. If that's the case with you, you might try turning on the air conditioner, if you have one. You also might try resting for a bit and then going for a brisk walk to see if you can walk the weakness off. The ability to work the weakness off seems to be a common trait in people with Becker MC who have MC related weakness, though I get some forms of weakness that gets worse with movement.

You should also have some blood work done, as it's possible your fatigue and weakness might not be MC related. Have them check blood counts, iron levels, your thyroid, and for other things that could make you tired or low on energy.

Type of Myotonia: Becker