Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to hide what you didn't know what you had

Hi Jenna

I was in pretty good physical shape when I joined the military, a couple years after high school....I had lots of difficulty with the physical fitness regime, at first.... but even not knowing I had MC, I adapted...I made sure I was plenty warmed up before I had to peform push-up's, sit-up's etc....My only real difficulty, was standing in formation for long periods of time, and then not being able to move. I fell down a few times, but, as I said, I hid it pretty well....leg cramp excuse was one of the main ones I used to use....You are correct about not being allowed to remain in the miltary if you have MC.....but, mine was not diagnosed until several years after I was discharged. I was able to keep up, physically, with my peers, but it was NOT easy....and I "got by"....but I would never trade my military experience for anything in the world.....I got to see numerous parts of the world I thought I would never see, and did amazing things in my 12 years of service. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend trying to "get by" like I did.....I had many a painful episode, including receiving over 30 stitches in my head, and a cracked vertebra, when I fell trying to get into my bunk during a tropical storm...I didn't have the muscle strength to pull my self up, and ended up being badly injured..No permanent damage, but had I not had MC, I would not have fallen so much, trying to do things others can do with relative ease....Hope that answers your question. Take care.

Type of Myotonia: Beckers