Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quinine Sulfate Status

That's probably a good question for a pharmacist. If you have a university medical center nearby then you might want to talk with a professor in the pharmacology department.

My personal preference if I were to take medication would be Mexitil over Quinine Sulfate, but I have a genetic condition that makes quinine very dangerous for me because of red blood cell destruction. I've only had one dose and was so sick I was out of it for days.

There are very few people who don't show at least some response to Mexitil but you do need to get a baseline EKG and regular monitoring, especially the first few months. One of the biggest concerns with quinine is the risk of permanent hearing loss over time.

Hope you can find a pharmacist who will help you compare the two. It should be fairly easy to find a doctor who will prescribe the quinine sulfate since your son's been on it for so long.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Quinine Sulfate Status

Thanks so much for the info. I love this forum. It really helps to know I can bounce different ideas off of people on this forum who actually know what I am going through & talking about. I think I will try to get my son to try the Mexitil again since I don't think he was up to the right dose to make a difference before he stopped. The quinine even has a generic is still terribly expensive.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen