Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anxiety

I find stress, lack of sleep, not eating well, anxiety effects me greatly. But then again if we were healthy it would be called depression. So for us it is both physical and mental. If you feel you are in a dark pit and cannot see the light. I recommend you see your doctor and talk this through. It takes incredible inner strength and determination to wake up each day and say, " I will make this the best **** day of my life". That is a choice we do have. Slow down and relax your brain and make it focus on the positive things in your life. I picture loading up a dump truck with all that is negative and sending it down the road out of my life and not taking it all on. I learned a long time ago I am not the happy pill for anyone else ( including friends, loved ones, etc.). I am the only one that can make myself happy. If we do that everyone around us will be fine as well.

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Gongenita

Stress and anxiety are triggers for MC. For instance, if I have to speak in public, the resulting strsss will cause me to be unable to walk normally afterwards....unable to walk away from the podium or go down stairs if it is on an elevated stage. Other stressful events, while driving for instance will definitely cause a severe MC attack.

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

I had a horrible time with Anxiety, thought I was dying at 30 of heart attacks, or??? Ignorant Dr's who did not listen to me, and I hadn't had my testing done to confirm diagnosis, told me I was just losing my head and gave me inhalers to 'help' calm my breathing. (I wound up on the floor with ambulance attendants around me, at home, by myself with my one-year-old son). It still gets me, and I read the other post about stressful situations, all the same here, if I am even slightly nervous, lol, I stiffen up like a board (whole body, can't even swallow), quite the sight. I have learned, am learning, to keep away from a lot of caffeine, because it aggravates, and it turn....., and mostly to tell myself, it's in my head (the anxiety), and it's not going to kill me, unless I let it get me worked up and I try to hit a flight of stairs :) Sorry you are going through this. I'm glad I finally had my testing done, and am no longer thought to be crazy by my Dr's. (They actually listen to me now).

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's Disease