Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
arthritis connection?

hi all,
question...i never had any arthritic symptoms in my fingers until age 62, then all of a sudden all ten digits became arthritic sore (they've always been stiff but not arthritic sore)...makes me believe there's a connection between myotonia and sudden-onset arthritis...can anyone here relate to this?

Type of Myotonia: not sure

Re: arthritis connection?

There shouldn't be any correlation. However I had the same thing happen several years ago after getting a blood transfusion. It turned out the donor had Parvo Virus B19 which I contracted through the blood. It can cause a temporary arthritis, primarily fingers to elbow and toes to knee. I couldn't even button a blouse it hurt so bad.

Human Parvo B19 is very common in children. It would not be unusual at all for you to be exposed. You can ask your doctor to test you for an acute infection, but even if you've had it in the past it can be reactivated if you're exposed to someone with an active infection.

When I was doing some physical therapy a few years ago my therapist told me that their whole department came down with it after exposure to a patient with an active infection. Some became so ill they couldn't work for months. It can be quite serious in adults.

I tried many different things to try to deal with the pain and arthritis, and the only thing that helped me was a bioactive whey protein powder. It has to be non-heat treated. A few brands are ImmunoPro and VitalWhey. Most of the powders in the health food stores and grocery stores are from the cheese processing industry so they have been heated and lose the active immune globulins that help fight viruses.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

thanks, jan...never thought of infection as a possible cause.

Type of Myotonia: not sure

Here's a link for you:

Parvovirus-Associated Arthritis

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's