Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Managable when younger, but now becoming stronger?

Hi Jeff,

I could really relate to your experiences with this condition particularly when describing the foot races. I too can clearly recall being up against other schools for 1oo metre sprint and on take off my legs would seize and I would be stuck almost like I was running into the ground, then after 5 or so seconds gain my momentum, gather pace and take off.
I don't recall any issues as a young child, but certainly in my teens it was at it's worst. I was a good hockey player yet really struggled with this-being a winter sport-with the cold making the affects worse. If I was not playing in a position where I got a lot of ball action-constantly moving, then the result was BANG-down I went as soon as I went to run for the ball. Often embaressing and frustrating, so much so that I gave hockey up after school for a few years. I didn't realise what it was or what was causing this until I casually mentioned it to my grandad, I was around 18 at the time and struggling with it whilst trekking in cold conditions overseas. To my surprise he knew exactly what I was talking about and said he had suffered with it majorly during the war when he was in his teens. He explained the eyes, the hands and most of all the legs.I also found out that his sister's child had suffered from this too-so definitely hereditary, though none of my siblings or parents suffer from it.

I am now 35 and have found since getting older that it has hardly been noticeable and slightly more manageable- that was until now!
I am 20 weeks pregnant with first child and it has come back to bit me in the bum big time!
I just went for a walk this morning and when it came to a steep hill where I had to left my legs they refused to work. Lately I have been really suffering from the stairs at work too, though pre pregnancy I would run up them!

One of the things I find most annoying is that it is so hard to explain to people. I just say- oh my **** legs cramp up. They then think it must be painful-but the weird part is it isn't, just **** frustrating!
I wish there was a little tablet I could take to alleviate the symptoms on bad days but there really isn't as far as I know.

Warm sunny days are my friends as this is when I least notice it.

Nice to talk to someone else who knows what its like and this is the first time I have posted on a forum ever.

Celia

Type of Myotonia: possibly Thomsons

Re: Managable when younger, but now becoming stronger?

I have the Thompson type. Understood I've had this issue since pre-teen. Only recently diagnosed. I'm 75 and have started using a cane a couple years ago. I use the folding kind. I don't need it when walking around indoors but outdoors stumbling can be a problem since recovery from a pavement irregularity may cause a fall. Since I don't need it all the time, I am in danger of leaving it behind. The most convenient way to have it along with me is to put it in a wine bottle bag (59 cents at Trader Joe) looped on my belt. Before I figured this out, I purchased several cane holsters at Amazon. They were wholly unsatisfactory. One of my sons says he thinks he has it. It cannot be very bad with him because I know it well and never suspected he had it. I'd not know now except when I got diagnosed and reported it to my kids, he replied he thought he had it too.

I haven't noticed any allergy connections. I have a little asthma but believe it unrelated.

Type of Myotonia: Thompson