Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fasting symptom free????

I have mytonia Congenita. I am 37 have suffered all my life. A couple years back my wife and I had problems and split. Well I was so depressed because my life was falling apart around me that I barely ate for 2 weeks. Lost a whack of weight. Now heres the thing. Having had to practically pull myself up stairs and constantly warm up for any activity for most of my life, my symptoms were completely gone. From standing start could sprint up stairs? Could leap from my chair without 4 or 5 uncomfortable steps. Anyone experienced anything like that? Eventually we reunited i resumed eating and symptoms reappeared. Also I have had DNA testing confirming my condition.

Type of Myotonia: Congenita

Re: Fasting symptom free????

Craig:

My symptoms tend to get worse when I reduce my calories to a certain point. Do you notice any change in your symptoms with intake of potassium rich foods? Some people, especially those with sodium channel myotonias like paramyotonia, notice that high potassium foods make their symptoms worse.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Re: Fasting symptom free????

Craig, like Jenna said, that may mean that your diet is affecting your myotonia more than you realized. It could be potassium or sugar, which raises insulin and changes the chloride ion channel conductance. I noticed a HUGE difference when I cut sugar out of my diet.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's