Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: thomsens

Hi Tom,

The same holds true for me. Although I didn't have the dna test. I did have a muscle biopsy and was diagnosed back in 1972. Neither of my parents have it. My grandfather was said to have had arthritis real bad. I wonder if in fact it wasn't arthritis but thomsen's. They didn't go to doctors and even if they did it was so long ago I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to diagnose it. I went to a genetics counselor at the MDA in Los Angeles, CA back in the mid eighties. Prior to starting a family because I wanted to know the risk of passing it along. I was told if I had a female the chances were very slim that she would have it. But if I had a male it would be a 50/50 chance. I was also told it is more prevalent in Germany. My daughter was born and she is just fine. My son however has it. I was taking quinidine gluconate, but the pharmaceutical company that produces it went absolutely crazy with their prices in October. My prescription went from $42 a month to $569 with insurance coverage. So needless to say I stopped taking it and have been suffering without meds. My son had Dilantin and gave me some of his pills. It helps but not as much as the quinidine. The best medicine I ever had was quinidex, but they stopped making it.
Are you on any meds?
Sincerely,
Bernie

Type of Myotonia: thomsens