Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reliability of blood lactate fitness test

Thanks Jan for the useful information,

But when you get your lactate levels lower with the help of baking soda for example, then does it result in better endurance also?

Or should we use higher lactate level figures as a benchmark for determining anaerobic zone if it's typical for us to have more lactate?

Björn

Re: Reliability of blood lactate fitness test

The baking soda helps more with burning and cramping. What really helps me with endurance is the Acetyl-L-Carnitine and a high phosphorus diet. Because our muscles are firing constantly, even at rest, we have a much higher requirement for ATP than a normal person. I haven't noticed any benefit from creatine.

We had a product in the US called Phos Fuel that was just sodium phosphate, but I haven't seen it for a while. Most endurance supplements contain potassium as well as glycine and glutamic acid. All of them worsen myotonia for me. My nephrologist said that skim milk is the best for me to keep up phosphorus levels.

It's important not to use too much bicarbonate. I only put about 1/8 tsp (about 1/2 ml) in a liter of water. Something else that might help is a little magnesium. Again, a lot is not good, but smaller amounts (200-500mg per day) can reduce lactate levels and improve endurance. The best form is magnesium citrate.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's