Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weight Lifting

Hi Josh,
I am 19 and can say that I love working out. It's hard to say if the muscle building was accelerated since I went everyday with one rest day per week. I did notice more definition faster than my workout buddy, but that could be genetics or such. The only negative affects I had from working out is that I felt my recovery time took longer than others(couple days). If you are just starting, start light and slow so your muscles can adapt. I did all the heavy compounds lifts to isolation to running. If you are smart and watch how your body reacts you should be fine. I hope I could help you out.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen

Hi Josh,

To reply to the email ill put it here since i don't know the password.

My situation is different than yours. I used to play hockey and school sports but got too caught up in school and stopped being active. I was already pretty muscular compared to others my age. Before i started working out i had pretty decent definition(even as a couch potato). Hell, at 10 i had a 6 pack, legs(calves mostly), and lats. So to say i do have definition and a little bit of size where its most severe but not the strength.

If you have calves larger than some BB, then your legs are probably the most affected, but you probably already knew that. I guess a tip when working out is to work on endurance and strength, not size(unless you want even bigger). So lightweight high reps(12-15) or high weight low reps(1-3). There are a ton of great sites or trainers to get any information you would need. All of this is from how i felt and personal experience, so if its not for you its fine. Im not a professional.

On a final note, are you on any medication to help movement? I am on mexicilitine(however its spelt), and i noticed it makes me fatigue quickly and decreases my strength.
Hope this is the least bit helpful.

-Saskatchetoonian

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen

Hi Josh" I'm 52 and sprinting twice a month is all the exercise I need along with stretching, MC causes enzymes to increase in the blood as exercise,myself I have always been been very weak until warming up,use to snow ski and water ski and was built like the hulk,I'm the only one in My family with this disease.

Type of Myotonia: BM