Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Med DEBIO-025

Leroy, it's primarily used to treat hepatitis, but they have found it to be effective in treating muscular dystrophy (I believe several types):

Debio-025 is more effective than prednisone in reducing muscular pathology in mdx mice

I don't think it would be the same as taking prednisone as far as relieving myotonia. The main reason corticosteroids work is because they cause potassium loss. You can get a similar effect from taking licorice root extract but it's contraindicated if you have high blood pressure. However it doesn't cause diabetes, cataracts or osteoporosis.

Do you have any muscle wasting? If so the Debio-025 might be helpful.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

What about debio-025 and it's effects on the mitcondria to help with weakness?I have tried all the weight lifting body building products and they make Me worse

Type of Myotonia: BM

What really helped me with that was a supplement called Acetyl-L-Carnitine. Athletes use it (especially bodybuilders). I noticed a big difference after I started using it. Most mitochondrial diseases improve with carnitine supplementation.

Many of the bodybuilding supplements (including drinks and powders) have potassium added and that could worsen myotonia and cause weakness.

Jan

This is a frustrating disease,I tried acetyl-L-carnitine in more then one brand name" I'm going to have more genetic testing" Mexilatine did help but blurd My Vison and predisone helps" I went off it for a few years" I started takeing it again so I can have the energy to get out of bed.
T

Type of Myotonia: BM

Leroy, there are different types of mitochondrial diseases that can affect muscles and fatigue. Also autoimmune conditions like lyme disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's Syndrome, celiac disease, etc, can be pretty debilitating, especially when combined with MC.

Carnitine is especially effective at treating fatty acid oxidation disorders,but there are many other conditions that can be caused by genetic mutations. My metabolic problems seem to be a combination of inherited (specific mutations in energy pathways) as well as acquired, apparently from pesticide poisoning.

Since the prednisone really helps, you might want to go to a rheumatologist and see if they can track down anything. They are probably the best at detecting autoimmune disorders.

Jan