Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why get diagnosed?

Bob:

There's always a chance you could have something other than MC, as myotonia can be a symptom of a few different disorders, and knowing which one you have could better help you manage your symptoms. Also, as Jan said, the doctors will take you more seriously. Before I had the genetic testing, thought I had EMG confirmed myotonia, not knowing the exact type could occasionally produce some frustration at the doctors office, because there was always the question of, is this symptom I'm here for today related to my undetermined myotonic condition or is it something else entirely?

Also, I have heard from a number of people with myotonia causing conditions, who have experienced more difficulty in coping with their disorder with age, even if the severity of the disorder hasn't actually increased, and have found that they are no longer able to work. It is much easier to get disability benefits if you have long term documentation of your disorder.

Type of Myotonia: Becker