Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Muscle bulk

Hi everyone. This may seem silly and a long shot but as a part of mc we all suffer from having large muscles which speaking for myself being a female ESP in the summer isn't that flattering has anyone on here heard of anything at all that even slightly reduces the muscle bulk would try anything at all let me no :)

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Re: Muscle bulk

Ciara,

I have never had large muscles, but my muscle type is predominantly red, long fiber. If you have white, short fiber dominance then you will tend more toward hypertrophy even if you don't have MC. So genetics are part of the equation.

There is one thing we can do to reduce the hypertrophy. We have to develop an awareness of when we are pushing against the stiffness and pause to let the muscles relax. If you force the muscles to move, you will tear the fibers and muscle cells will release their contents which is what causes the high CK levels on tests and also it signals the body to make more muscle fibers in that area to try to compensate for the stress.

For example if you are starting to go up a flight of stairs and the muscles grab as you touch the first or second step, then you need to pause until your quads and calves relax. Sometimes it can help to push off with the heel of your foot rather than the ball - that's what I do when I go biking.

Because it's embarrassing to pause when you're walking with a group of people or if someone is watching, we tend to force our legs to keep moving and exert a tremendous amount of force on those muscles. It would be like a bodybuilder doing a leg press against 150 pounds :-) They love the results when their muscles adapt by increasing in size, but like you said, us girls don't necessarily want to look like Mr. Olympia!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Not to be rude or come off as pervy, but how much muscle do you have to make is seem unflattering? Myself and many others find muscles on women extremely attractive. Just embrace yourself and the fact your jacked.

Type of Myotonia: Thompson

Ciara:

I used to have a lot of muscle bulk in my legs when I was younger, and I got a lot of compliments on them, so I don't think it was a negative thing in that respect. I lost most of that muscle when I started going to the gym to lose a lot a weight I had gained rapidly due to some medication. It was not my intention to lose muscle during this time, I just have a difficult time burning fat without losing muscle (and gaining muscle without gaining fat). The only upside I can think of to losing the muscle is, there are fewer muscle fibers to have myotonia in.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about being too muscular looking.

Type of Myotonia: Becker