Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is deglycyrrhizinated licorice root extract effective?

Dear Jan,

I\\\'m an MC patient from China. I was exhilarated when I found your website because in the past thirty years in my life, I didn\\\'t have anybody I can talk to about this rare disease. Deeply appreciate your effort to organize people with the same sufferings from the world and help each other.

I saw in your reply to a patient from India that you recommend licorice root extract as alternative medicine. The product I can find here is deglycyrrhizinated licorice root extract. Does it make any difference if glycyrrhizin is removed from the extract?

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Tom Tang

Type of Myotonia: Not sure, most probably Thomson

Re: Is deglycyrrhizinated licorice root extract effective?

Tom, glad you found us!

Although DGL is very helpful for preventing ulcers, only the non-DGL form will help with myotonia. You would want Gan Cao or Glycyrrhiza Uralensis which is the actual powdered extract. It is often used as a sweetener.

It's best to start with lower amounts at first to be sure it doesn't raise your blood pressure. Normally you would have to take large amounts for that to happen. I take 450 mg a day and that is enough to significantly reduce myotonia for me. It also allows me to tolerate foods higher in potassium like fruit.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Is deglycyrrhizinated licorice root extract effective?

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply, Jan. Gan Cao is much easier to find inside China as it is one of the most popular traditional herbs. I will try from smaller amount.

I also have a question about L-Taurine. Is it the same ingredient as those in drinks like Red Bull? Will drinking Red Bull have the same effect as taking the L-Taurine capasules? One of my biggest pains caused by MC is the hardship of swallowing pills. I would rather take everything liquid to avoid the painful gagging experience.

Best Regards,

Tom

Type of Myotonia: Not sure, most probably Thomson