Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MC

Hi my father suffers from MC and has done since he was 15 he is now 42. I was just wondering how likely I am of getting MC (I am a 24yo female) thanks.

Re: MC

That would depend on the type of MC he has. If other family members (mother or father, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) have had symptoms, then he would have the dominant form and you would have a 50% chance of inheriting it (and you would most likely have had symptoms by now).

If he and/or his siblings are the only ones with symptoms, then it was probably the recessive form (Becker's) and you would have almost no chance of inheriting two copies of the recessive mutations, although you may be a carrier.

He can ask for a DNA test so that you would know for sure which type runs in the family. Sometimes people are diagnosed with MC when they actually have a different ion channel mutation like paramyotonia congenita. So it's good to do the testing just to confirm that it is myotonia congenita.

Sometimes women with the dominant form (Thomsen's) don't have much trouble with stiffness until they are pregnant. It is still a good idea to get testing just so you know if you should take all the precautions for surgery.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's