Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Having Bariatric Surgery, has anyone else had this done?

Suzi,

So glad everything went well! How was your experience with anesthesia and post-operative pain meds?

I used to buy the non-fat cottage cheese curds (in a bag) and put them through the food processor with some yogurt to avoid additives. You also might want to try some ricotta cheese, but still read the label since some brands might contain potassium sorbate.

They used to make Mexitil in ampules that could be used for IV administration. I'm not sure if that is still the case, but I'll try to find out in case others might need it for a few days after surgery.

V-8 is really good at disguising yukky tastes. If you do mix the powder from the capsule in food or drinks, be sure to take an antacid at the same time since you can't eat much food at once.

Please keep us posted and thanks so much for sharing!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Hi Suzi:

I have not had bariatric surgery though, when I was a teenager, I gained a significant amount of weight in a very short time due to some medication I was on, and then had to lose it. I am 5'4 and was up to about 234lbs (a lot of it was muscle but too much of it was fat).

My myotonia was very severe at the time, and I didn't think it could get worse, but it did for the few few months of my diet and exercise routine, especially after the gym. I kept up with it though because I was so determined to get the weight off, and at some point, the myotonia started to lessen, until it was less than when I had initially started. It took me about a year and a half to lose the weight on a 1200 calorie per day diet and 3-6 days per week at the gym. I started with 3, worked up to 6, and cut back to 5. By the time I was finished, I would say that on a scale from 0-10, with 0 being no myotonia and 10 being rigid paralysis, my myotonia had dropped from an average of 8 to an average of 4, meaning, I still couldn't immediately after standing, but I could drive, and trip without falling.

So if your myotonia does worsen over these next few months, try not to get discouraged. It might be a temporary thing....you should have the genetic testing though to determine what type of myotonia you actually have, as that might help you determine how hard to push yourself. I didn't know I had Becker MC at the time, but with Becker MC, it's very typical for the myotonia to be worse after resting (which could mean stopping and standing there for 3 seconds) after rigorous activity, and for it to lessen over time with regular exercise, so if you had Becker MC, I would say keep at it. But people with paramyotonia might need to not push themselves as hard.

Another thing. I've noticed that there is a common trait among people who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off. They switch goals. After they reach their goal weight, they are not done. They change their focus from losing weight, to becoming fit, and even athletic. I think this is particularly important for people with food addictions because pursuing a goal like running a 5k or a marathon, or even just beating personal bests helps refocus their attention from negative endorphin creating activities, to positive endorphin creating activities, and trust me, exercise does eventually start to feel good. I'm not sure if it was 3 months in or 6 months in, but I got to a point where I just couldn't see how I could not go the gym.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Jenna,
Thank you for your reply, and encouragement. I will keep in mind that it will get better. I am feeling better already having lost over 35lbs so far.
Thank you,
Suzi

Type of Myotonia: ?