Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Magnesium, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and MCT oil doses

Magnesium helps with muscle relaxation and since our muscles are always firing at a low level, it tends to get depleted and then we experience more pain. The key is to take just enough to help, but not enough to raise potassium levels to the point it increases stiffness. It's a very delicate balance. Usually 250-500 mg a day is adequate.

Acetyl-L-Carnitine helps with mitochondrial function and it facilitates using fatty acids as fuel. When we don't have enough fuel for our muscles, the cells begin to break down and this causes pain and cramping as well as elevated CK levels. Carnitine will allow you to use the fatty acids more efficiently and can reduce muscle damage and soreness. The usual dose would be 500-1000 mg per day. If you have a mitochondrial disease you may need more.

MCTs are the type of fatty acids that can be utilized easiest for fuel. Taking the oil will help reduce lactic acid buildup and should help protect the muscle cells.

Licorice Root helps MC by mimicking a hormone called aldosterone which increases sodium retention and decreases potassium recycling. Some of the older drugs used to treat MC were diuretics that increased potassium excretion. But again it's a delicate balance and if you lose too much potassium it can affect heart rhythm and cause weakness. I use about 500 mg a day, but that allows me to eat more foods high in potassium like fruits and vegetables.

It might take some experimenting to find the right doses, but it was worth it to me since I don't tolerate any medications.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Thanks for explaining them to me. I'm always on the lookout for new supplements that may help me a bit (not expecting miracles, like I'll suddenly be able to run up a flight of stairs), but just things to make my everyday life better.

Type of Myotonia: ????

Have you tried the amino acid Taurine? I get a lot of positive feedback about that. The dose is 1000-2000 mg per day (I think they were using 3-4 grams in the studies, but that's probably not necessary.)

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

No, what exactly does that do?

Type of Myotonia: ????