Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Forum: Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
ADA accommodations in the US

Have any of you in the US requested any sort of ADA accommodations at work and do you have any advice? I am considering it. I am currently a contractor and I am afraid it might impact my job, but it already has. I have worked in my field for 17 years and have always been regarded as a slacker due to my condition...extension of the way I was regarded in school.

I miss work at times, show up late once in a while, sometimes miss details due to exhaustion or distraction due to pain. I have had bad luck when I’ve told bosses in the past, they don’t make an effort to understand the condition and it seems to make things worse as far as their attitude toward me. When I had my genetic testing done a few years ago, they found Thompsons as well as an unknown mutation, which I believe contributes to my weakness and exhaustion.

The weather in the NW is changing, and I was completely laid out yesterday and stayed home. I’m getting sideways looks from my supervisor, and I feel a pattern repeating itself. I would love to not go down this rabbit hole again, since I know what is wrong now and I have the diagnosis. I would like to use the services available. I will have to start by talking to my contract company, they will organize a meeting with my employer. I am nervous.

Type of Myotonia: Thompsons and another unknown

Re: ADA accommodations in the US - by Jan (moderator) - Sep 20, 2014 8:46am
Re: ADA accommodations in the US - by amanda - Dec 9, 2014 10:46pm
Re: ADA accommodations in the US - by Jan (moderator) - Dec 11, 2014 7:43am
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains