Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Forum: Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ADA accommodations in the US

Amanda, independent contractors are not considered employees under the ADA, so they do not have to make any accommodations. This is a very good FAQ about the ADA:

Employment Rights Under the Americans with Disabilities Act

If you were a regular employee you could ask for accommodations related to MC such as a warm environment (for instance I was allowed to keep a space heater under my desk), access to elevators rather than having to use stairs, and notification of any pesticide applications with a few days off work if needed.

Rather than just setting up a meeting, I would advise getting a referral to an occupational therapist. They will meet you at your workplace and evaluate what might be helpful to you in your work environment. Since they are healthcare professionals it will have more clout than you trying to explain your condition to the employer or supervisor.

You can also use the services at your state's Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. They were extremely helpful for me when I was looking for jobs that could accommodate my conditions. They also have a list of employers who will hire people with disabilities. You have to go through an orientation, then get an appointment with a counselor, and then they will order any medical evaluations or occupational therapy consults. It's not a fast process, but if you meet the guidelines (I think they have income restrictions on some services) it's well worth getting registered.

If you have performance issues related to pain, fatigue, etc, then it's probably best to get evaluated and find the best fit for your condition. That may be telecommuting so that you can work when you are alert and feeling better. I certainly understand all the problems and have had some really bad bosses in the past. But I have had some great ones, too.

Did you get gene sequencing for the SCN4A mutations, also? They tend to cause more weakness. I have Thomsen's but also one variant in SCN4A which is probably why I'm so much more sensitive to potassium and cold. And of course we're just as susceptible to fibromyalgia and other conditions that cause fatigue, pain and weakness.

This is a good article you might want to share with your supervisor. It's specifically about periodic paralysis, but Thomsen's is an ion channel disorder with very similar symptoms.

"Not Crazy or Lazy"

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Email  
Re: ADA accommodations in the US - by amanda - Dec 9, 2014 10:46pm
Re: ADA accommodations in the US - by Jan (moderator) - Dec 11, 2014 7:43am
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains