Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Forum: Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Magnesium

Magnesium can help as long as you don't use too much (it will increase potassium levels which in turn can worsen myotonia). It would take quite a bit to do that, so I would just work up gradually and stop at the dosage where you see relief.

I would suggest magnesium oil so that your daughter doesn't have to swallow a pill. I've gotten very good feedback. It may burn just a little - some people say they spray it on the bottom of their feet to avoid that. This is a brand that has very good reviews:

Magnesium Oil

I know most children don't like spicy foods, but if she can gradually get used to the taste of hot peppers (salsa, Tabasco sauce, pepper flakes) it can really help with the stiffness.

Here is a medical journal article about using magnesium and calcium to help relieve myotonia.

Magnesium and Calcium for CLCN1 Myotonia

You can buy a combination of the two in a capsule form which could be opened and mixed into juice or something like yogurt or ice cream:

Calcium Citrate Plus Magnesium

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Email  
Re: Magnesium - by Leroy - Oct 7, 2014 10:57pm
Re: Magnesium - by Jan (moderator) - Oct 8, 2014 8:05am
Re: Magnesium - by mary - Oct 28, 2014 10:18am
Re: Magnesium - by Jan (moderator) - Oct 28, 2014 11:41am
Re: Magnesium - by Kelly Diez - Nov 4, 2014 11:57am
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting