Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My 3 yr old just diagnosed, any advice?

Hi
My 3 year old has just been diagnosed with Beckers and i was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips to get through life (improve quality i guess you could say)?

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

Re: My 3 yr old just diagnosed, any advice?

What method was used to diagnose bm? I remember at age five haveing strong symptoms"

Type of Myotonia: M?

Do you mean like blood test (genetic test) and needle in his muscle in his shin to listen to the noise the muscle makes? Both my husband and I are carriers and both passed our myotonia gene :(

Caleb has symptoms not sure if they are classed as strong. When he gets out of the car we have to hold his hand otherwise he falls over, massive calves, biceps, 6 pack on empty tummy, stiff, unstable running and walking. We were kept being told he was just delayed with his development but we knew there was more too it so finally got answers.

Started magnesium oil spray recently so hopefully that gives him some relief.

Watch out for the potassium it can in some cases make myotonia alot worse,and as said the magnesium oil can release potassium at to high of a dose,potassium as in orange juice in the morning would instantly ruin my day"took years to figure it out" I was diagnosed at age 15,now 52 and thankful for Med Mexilatine.

Type of Myotonia: M?

Ok will do. We decided not to do the drugs yet, dr recommended epilepsy drugs (not sure of the name) but we feel he is too young, not sure if that's right decision or not. Trial n error I guess. Would be easier if he could communicate what he is feeling to us.

Lauren, it's very common for toddlers with Becker's MC to have the hypertrophied muscles...they get so musclebound they fall over a lot, but as they grow, it gets better. Right now he doesn't know how to stop and relax so he pushes against the stiffness and that creates a very powerful isometric exercise.

I agree about avoiding the medications until he's older. The epilepsy drugs can cause some personality changes, especially at such a young age, so I encourage parents to wait and use a different medication like Diamox or Mexitil later which would not have as much of an effect on mood.

If you haven't seen the letter for school staff on the main website that might be helpful for you to read. It gives some tips on coping with the myotonia. (The link is above the search box.)

I know it's hard to watch your little guy struggle, but many of us are grateful for what our condition has taught us. He still has wide-open options for careers (except the military) and since he has the recessive form, he won't have to worry about passing it on to his children. Just to be sure his future mate can be tested when they decide to start a family, but the chances are almost zero.

I think the most important thing you can do is not be overprotective, don't encourage a victim mentality (it's not fair!) and teach him to laugh at himself when his body does unpredictable and embarrassing things. Being open about our condition with others and keeping a good sense of humor goes a very long way to having a happy and fulfilled life.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed about a year ago. We also chose not to do meds for the same reasons you gave. I agree with Jan about the importance of staying positive and not letting them feel sorry for themselves! She is the arm wrestling champ in our house :). We notice she has a harder time when the weather changes for winter. Being nervous also makes her stiff. She loves the movie Frozen, so when she gets stiff she calls out "frozen"!:) There is so much they can do just by learning to warm up. I know its overwhelming at first, but hang in there! We remind her that God made her special just the way she is, and He does not make mistakes.

Did your daughter have any speech issues?