Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
California State Standards and technology

Those of us who teach physical education in California know it is very difficult to meet the many Challenge Standards in a short time allotted to us. I wonder what ways there might be for us to use technology to help us meet these goals.
For some of the upper grade standards I believe we could encourage students to research topics on the internet to satisfy these standards.
For instance 5th grade standard 5.8 says "appreciate physical games and activities reflecting diverse heritages." Possibly we could give students assignments to research such games using the internet and then share their findings with the rest of the class.

Re: California State Standards and technology

Mike,

I teach high school level and I think your idea of researching topics over the internet is one way to satisfy the standards.
Another idea for high school kids might be to have students create a power point presentation on a sport. You can give them the guidelines of what needs to be included in the presentation, but they will get the freedom to decide how they want to deliver the information via power point.

Re: Re: California State Standards and technology

Have you used this with your students? I like the concept of students creating a power point. Do you have your students create the power point, in or out of class?

I like the idea of researching activities of other heritages. I think that you could also teach an activity and discuss about the background of the game. After the activity you could have your students do a journal writing on the class. I do a three minute writing at the end of my classes to get a better understanding of what the students have learned.

Re: Re: California State Standards and technology

I think your ideas are all excellent. I know kids love to do power point projects. My only concern is are we taking time away from activity to do all this research? That to me is defeating the purpose of physical education. I want my students as active as I can during the minutes I have them in my class.

I think you have great ideas. I assume you will have the students do these activities outside the classroom setting so as not to take away activity time. Also to share their findings in class would again take time away from students in the classroom. Maybe they can hand them in to you for a grade an not take away class time.
If you could assist the student in presenting a game they found on the internet then perform the activity that day, then it would be worth while. I do not teach in California, so maybe I do not understand all the obstacles that you encounter.

As mentioned in some of the responses, certain class time could be alloted for internet research. It is almost impossible to meet local or national standards with short time given to our students to meet for a PE class. What I do in my classes, since we only have one gymnasium, one fitness center and sometimes we are running 3 classes at a time: I designate a library/ computer time for the students research a sport of their choice/interest. Have the kids (high school)then find out and report what it takes to be an athlete on a professional level. How much training, what kind of training, nutrition, skill, education and other things that they might find interesting. I know that this is having the kids sit and not move, but combining health and physical EDUCATION, this does not have to be about a skill or a task, but about how to be an athlete for example. I like the idea of varying my PE classes into sport specific lessons, cooperative lessons, research, fitness unit...etc. Therefore students are well rounded.