Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: instructional software for Phys. Ed.

I just started to you a testing product called Turning Point. It is a clicker system that I use to give written test to my students. Instead of paper products they use a clicker to answer the questions. Then it will tell you how many got it correct and how has answered. The kids love using it and I do also. No more correcting test. The program does it for you. I beleive it is around $900 for program and 32 clickers. Well worth it. My school bought it for the whole school to you. I think you can google turning point software and you should be able to find it.

Hi,

Instead of using a gradebook, I use something called Learner Profile. What is has is attendance, grade keeper and it has observables, as in you can input rubrics into it. It is used on the desktop, but I use it in my PDA during class to take attendance with. I like it a lot, I do realize there are other more physical education related software, but I have found this to be beneficial to my teaching.

Re: Re: instructional software for Phys. Ed.

I teach elementary PE and are currently using a PDA to do all my grades on and all my fitness testing. I created an excel spreadsheet that has all my grades broke down into percentages, then when I go out and test the students in the gym I bring my PDA out and input them into the excel sheet and hot sync in to my computer and there it is for me. It is very easy and fast. Also, I did not have to purchase a program for my PDA because excel was already on there. Our district also purchased a fitness program that has all the standards and norms put into it so I just need to bring my PDA out when I am doing fitness testing and input the student's score and hook it up to my computer and it will tell me if they have meet the standard. The other nice thing about this program is the student's can set goals for spring testing on it and then it will tell them if they have meet those standards.

Re: Re: Re: instructional software for Phys. Ed.

Thanks Stacey: My co-worker and I are experimenting with the PDA thanks for your input. What fitness program do you use? We are piloting the new fitnessgram 8.2 this coming year that has syncing capablities. So your comments have been very helpful. thanks. Mary Tolley - Briggs Chaney Middle School

Re: Re: Re: Re: instructional software for Phys. Ed.

The program is called Fitness Report 7. We purchased it from www.pesoftware.com

This program you can use either fitnessgram or presidential for testing. I think the program is around $100.

Good luck with the PDA.
Stacey Nelson - Crest View Elementary

Re: Re: Re: instructional software for Phys. Ed.

Question for Stacey: What is the name of the fitness software your district purchased for your use? This sounds like something I would love to have and be able to use during presidential fitness testing. I get so annoyed with carrying around all the percentile charts and having to record my students scores on the score sheets then compare those scores to the charts. This sounds like a much easier task. Also, can the students input their own data and then create the goals for the next test date? Hope you can help me out! Thanks!!

I am curious is anyone is working with a Novell system instead of Windows. I ordered Fitnessgram software and my district tech guy would not install it because it is not compatible with Novell. Ugghhh!
Has anyone found a way around this one? All the software I have seen is for Windows.

I receive Bonnie Mohnsen's monthly newsletter and I know she has some sports specific software. I have also just toyed around with the graphic software Poser and you can create (or have the kids create) movement and animate it. Its a pretty fun graphics program.

Thanks Dan I will check it out. Mary

We use some of the Saunders Group (Tools RG) software for our strength and fitness casses.
It provides a wide variety of printable illustrated exercises for different muscle groups along with a log to record the sets reps etc.
It also reinforces proper technique and breathing along with providing students with ideas for alternative or cross training exercises.

Thanks for the info. I will check this software out. How much is it? Do they have a website? Mary Tolley

For my grades I use gradekeeper. I enjoy using this software because it can do numerous things. For example, it calculates the students grades instantly once the information is put in there, and you can also create a seating chart. Gradekeeper also keeps up-to-date attendance which is important especially when it comes up to the end of the year.