Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pedometers

Does anyone use a program for keeping track of the amount of steps your student's take in class? I have been using a basic excel sheet to keep track of my student's steps and was looking for something a little easier and quicker.

Re: Pedometers

Hi, my name is Ben and I'm an Adapted PE Specailist.

I use a website provided by PE Central called, "LogIt".(www.pelogit.org)

A teacher can sign-up in mintues. You can log your students steps, but the idea is for your students to log or record their own steps. The teacher creates a class with student usersnames and passwords. You can have as many classes as you want. I currenlty have 6 classes using this site. As your student walk and record their steps you can view your classes progress as well as an individual basis. Students are able to view their individual progress and compare themselves to their age, sex, by group/classmates or all who uses the logit program Nation wide. The Teacher can print: an excel spreadsheet of studnet progress, certificates which include total distance and number days logged. Students can also set daily goals to reach for. As a Adapted PE Department we have around 200 students using this resource. So far it is working.

Re: Re: Pedometers

Wow, I didn't know that PE Central had this program out there. I think that my students would enjoy seeing their results on the computer. It also sounds like the information is really organized and easy to read.
My problem would be the students use of the computer.
How do you have the students put their scores in the computer?

Our school has used pedometers for the past few years. I have read that most of you use the step counters but I prefer to use miles. I think my students understand miles more than they understand how far x amount of steps are. It is a great tool, the only major problems are that if I have a very large student the pedometers don't read correctly or if the student is wearing loose shorts. I used to have a slight problem with students shaking the pedometers but from experience I know how far most go without even checking their pedometers (and they know I know so they don't cheat )

This sounds like an awesome site that really allows you to not only log the steps and miles, but print certificates and goal sheets for each student daily or weekly. We are currently in the process of having pedometers donated to our school and I cannot wait to get them and give this site a try. Do you have your students use class time to input their data or are they required to do it on there own time?

Re: Re: Re: Pedometers

I personally do not want to input their data during class because they will not be active. My computer teacher said she would have the students do this during their computer time.

I am so glad I took this course. This web site will help my older classes tremendously. My 8th grade is a rowdy loud group that has a tough time staying focused. This will allow me to monitor them and assess them more efficiently. Thanks

Stacey,
I use pedometers in my class as well. I have found that just making a spread sheet with my students names and then writing the information on the sheets is the easiest. At the end of each class the students tell me their score and I write it in on their classes sheet. After each class I total the steps with a calucator. It sounds like I am making more work for myself but this is much quicker than typing each score for the students in the spread sheet.
I hope that this helps.

I have just started using pedometers in my PE classes, and I have the kids record their information (steps and distance) on index cards each class. Each student has their own individual card. I hand them out at the end of class. Students write down the number of steps and total distance recorded on the pedometers. After a total of 5 classes, I have the students total their information on the back of their cards. I then input this data into a spreadsheet which does all the accumulative calculations for me. I find it usually takes me 10 minutes to input the info per class. I can see how it would take a lot longer to input data EACH CLASS! That's why I usually wait until after the 5th class for students to total their numbers before inputing their totals into my spreadsheet.

I'm planning on getting some pedometers for my classes and I was thinking of using a worksheet for each student to keep track of steps and distance. They currently use a circuit training worksheet everyday as they work out in different stations for the first twenty minutes of class and so I think it will be a good idea to add the pedometer to the list. I collect the sheets at the end of the circuit training and could hand it back to them at the end of the 84 minute block so they could imput the pedometer portion of the class.

Currently we use a spreadsheet format. Students record their data daily. We are trying to figure out a way to put the information into the computer. My coworker is working on a program for us to use. But right now we record it on the sheets, and then the students can look at their progress, or lack there of.

I have each squad leader record the steps on an index card for each student. The leader records the number for about 4-6 students and then places them back into the index holder. I then take them and input them into the computer. It goes pretty fast.