Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: High school level games or activities.

I recently tried a game called "hocker" with my high school students. The game is a combination of basketball, soccer and hockey. The ball is an oversized rubber ball(cant remember demensions)and players have only 3 rules to follow. You can either dribble, throw ball or kick ball to score. Players can score goal from front of goal or from behind. The kids loved it. The teams were large but everyone was running around laughing and enjoying themselves.

Re: Re: High school level games or activities.

Jamie,

The "hocker" game you explained seemed interesting to me. What type of goal did you use and where are the goals located? Did you divide in to two teams or have up to four? Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks

This sounds fun. I'm always looking for new games like this to try with my students. I teach a class of mostly girls called Bodyshaping. They love doing NEW things. This is a game that I will try. Sounds fun!

Capture the flag is great at all ages. All you need is some sort of cloth that you can call a team flag. Each group tries to capture the flag and bring it back to their area without being caught. Tagging someone in your area makes them captured and they go to a jail area. Teammates that make it to the jail may rescue those caught.

One good book that I use to get ideas from is as follows: Silver Bullets by Karl Rohnke. It's a Guide to Initiative Problems, Adventure Games and Trust Activities. This has some good activities your high school kids may enjoy. I have been using them the past two years. Some kids are successful, some need a nudge, but all seem to enjoy it.

One game we play is called "Lord of the Rings". Divide the playing area in fours. Place a hula-hoop with a rubber ring inside in the middle of each teams quarter. In each corner place a jail with cones or domes. The object of the game is to try and get all four rings in your teams hoop. Each team may only have one person guard the rings and this person must remain on the outside of the hoop. When the other team comes on your side you can tag them and send them to jail. The two ways to get out of jail are, someone from your team runs into the jail, without being tagged and grabs a wrist of a prisoner. The two people can walk back to their side without getting tagged. They may not grab the ring on the way back to their side. The second way is a person can throw a gator ball into the prison and if their teammate catches the ball then they can walk back to their side. Each team can have 2 guards at their prison who can tag or knockdown balls. If you steal a ring then you must run it back to your side and may not throw it to another teammate. If you are tagged with a ring in your hand on another teams side, then the ring goes to that team, even though you might have stolen it from another team. If no team has 4 rings at the end of time then nobody wins. Teams can trade rings for prisoners, or trade prisoners. I just let them know that deals can be made in the game but once you make a deal then you must follow through with it. Remember only one team can win so make you deal carefully.

I play a game called speedball. The rules are very simple. Its just like hand ball but if the ball hits the ground it turns into soccer. The only way it turns back to handball is when the ball is either intercepted by the other team or picked up by the players two feet and they catch it in their hands. They can only advance the ball by dribbling or dropping it on the floor and dribbling it like soccer. This is a combination of soccer, football, and basketball.

Re: Re: High school level games or activities.

i have done that also
you can add to that game by making them make a bucket at a basketball hoop,you can just play tomato ball and use a football to make a bucket at a basketball hoop

Re: Re: Re: High school level games or activities.

This is an outdoor game but the students love it. It is called ultimate football but combines soccer and football. There are 2 teams playing a regulation size soccer field. You can decide how many players on each team but 10 to 12 usually works best. You can have 2 goalies as well. You only have to remember 2 things.. when the ball is in the air you can play football, catch it and run with it. The second the ball touches the ground, you must play soccer..dribbling, passing, etc. When you are running with the ball a person can tag you and you must freeze where you are and throw the ball to another teammate. You are trying to score in the big soccer goals but the only way you can score is by KICKING the ball in the net. If you have it in your hand (playing football at that second) you may drop kick or punt the ball into the goal. You must also shoot outside the goalie box. The game moves quickly. I have even had 2 balls going at once to get more activity for each student. Hope this helps!! Too bad I didn't post it earlier..you may have to wait til the spring to use it.

Kathleen, I have played eclispe ball with high school students before and they love it. It uses a volleyball, raquets if you would like and an eclispe ball. It is similiar to volleyball but the ball can bounce once inbetween hits and even an unskilled student can enjoy the game.

Hi I too have played speedball and the students really like it. We play it outdoors on the turf and with a large group everyone needs to get involved and they do. Especially when you enforce the rules of only three steps because then they have to pass to someone and their teammates need move around to help them out. It is also a great cooperative game, all leveled skills students can play. If you do play it outside I have used two goalies because we use soccer goals.

We play a game called foosketball in the main gym. You can have as many as fifteen kids on a team. Played with a football and flags. Combine the rules of flag football, basketball, and ultimate frisbee. s points for a three point basket, two for a regular basket, and one for a pass or run over the baseline

Hi Kathleen,
I have a game that we play every other week with our 8th grade phys Ed classes. It's called Mattball and it accommodates large groups. It a kick ball game with a twist. We combine two classes to play. All the students are actively involve and it's quick to set up and clean up. If you are interested, I have attached the rules to my web-page. (http://ooms.olentangy.k12.oh.us/teachers/greg_smith/)

I hope this helps

Greg-

Greg,

We also play Mattball...you are right the kids love it. Have you ever played Squirrels & Hawks?

Place one hula-hoop in the center of the court; place one hula hoop at each end of the court. Put all the beanbag "nuts" in the middle hoop; this is the Hawks' Nest. The other two hoops are the Squirrels' Holes. There are three teams in this game. Choose one team to be the Hawks. The other two teams are the squirrels.

The object of the game for the Squirrel teams is to gather the nuts in their Holes. The object for the Hawks is to keep the nuts in their Nest for the duration of a round (3:30). There are no safe areas. The Hawks protect their Nest by tagging the Squirrels. When a Squirrel is tagged, he remains frozen until a teammate tags him. If a Squirrel has a nut when he is tagged, the Hawk takes it back to the Nest. If all the nuts are taken from the Hawks' Nest before the round is over, count the nut’s and continue the round. After each round a score is given to each team (Hawks…how many nut’s do the have remaining, Squirrels…how many nut’s did they capture.) 3 rounds make up a game…each team will be the Hawk’s one time during a game.

Junior High kids love it!

This sounds like a great game. Thanks for sharing!

we play a game we call "Redding" ball, its named after the teacher who 1st played it at our school. The rules are identical to Team Handball except the goals are hula hoops hanging from basketball baskets. We can get three games running side by side, and we use Gator Skin balls instead of actual team handballs. We usually have the key of the basketball court serve as the crease, but sometimes we allow the kids to play with no crease. They like it cuz they get to dunk the ball.