Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dance Dance Revolution Game

I have been using the DDR for about two years now in my physical education class. I run it as an actual unit. I received a grant to purchase 8 dance pads, 4 DDR games (Extreme 2) and a couple PS2's. The kids absolutely love this unit!

Re: Re: Dance Dance Revolution Game

Is is easily setup in a MPR? I would have to setup and take down during lunch and after school and not sure how long that would take?

Thanks Karl,

Ryan

Re: Re: Re: Dance Dance Revolution Game

I set up the four DDR stations before and after school everyday...In that time frame it's not that bad...If you have to take down and set up over the lunch period as well, I think it would be to much then.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dance Dance Revolution Game

How many students could play at each DDR station that you do after school? I have classes that range from 17-64 students. I am thinking that the small classes would work ok, but I think it would be too much wait time in the large classes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dance Dance Revolution Game

The largest class I have accommodated was 26 students. I have 4 DDR stations. At each station I have 1 TV, 1 PS2, 2 metal game pads, 2 plastic practice pads and 2-3 yoga mats. Consequently, I can have 2 students playing, 2 students practicing, and 2-3 students exercising, doing yoga or taking a break (depending on the age level). Obviously, the size you will be able to accommodate will depend on how much equipment you currently have. You’re going to need a lot of equipment to get 64 students moving! But, I will tell you this, once they get the hang of it the students are pretty self sufficient. So, for your bigger class sizes you could have 1/3 of your class doing DDR while the other 2/3 of the class is doing some kind of workout video projected on the wall for example.

We have used this game for fund raisers around the holidays in the cafateria during lunch. The kids payed a dollar to play, and there were lines to play every lunch period.

Yes, we use DDR in PE class for grade 1-5. It is most popular with grades 1-3. We bought the game and then we play it on a DVD player and use a projector to show it on the wall. This way we have 40- 50 students participate. Each student gets a poly spot for their home base and they move from their. It really gets them moving.

ryan, were you able to purchase your revolution. did you get to use it in class. how is the wear and tear on it. ralph

do you think middle school students would get involved

I would like to look into purchasing a DDR system for my elementary school. Another PE teacher from a different elementary school in our district borrowed one from her husband (a high school PE teacher). It was a hit. So I think middle school students would like it too. Sometimes, it is all in how it is presented.

I have used DDR with my students before. I would recommend that you have more than one Xbox, Nintendo, etc. or you have plenty of the practice pads.