Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Strapless Heart Rate Monitors

Has anyone used the strapless heart rate monitors? Do they work, and can elementary level students(4-6) understand how to use it? We put in a grant for them and are waiting to hear back.

Re: Strapless Heart Rate Monitors

I use them with my 5th and 6th grades. I have some from Reebock they work good for keeping the kids in their target heart rate. The Polar heart rate monitors are the best in my opinion, but also the most expensive.

I just recently attended a seminar that a local company was putting on trying to sell HRM’s. Let me say this, they are very cool and extremely important to anyone student or adult who can get their hands on them. However, they are very expensive and the software it seemed required countless hours of training. It also included palm pilots and other pieces of technology based equipment. For our grade level (K-8) we decided to stick with the pedometers.

I personally use a strap less heart rate monitor and find that it is pretty accurate. I believe that grades 4 to 6 would have no problem using them. Of course the biggest concern would be cost, but if you have put in for a grant it looks like you have that part covered.

I am interested if you have heard back yet about your grant and which grant in particular you applied for

ryan, what grant did you put in for. i am also looking into grants for acquiring techno toys, but am not sure where to start. thanks, ralph