Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pedometers

I don't have specific games but I can give you ideas to get the students to understand the concepts. In the past, I have started using pedometers with third graders. I select activities that are totally different so students compare and contrast the readings on their pedometers. Using common sense, these activities would tell us that the readings should be different, the big question is by how much? For example, I would have students do the Pacer Run from the Fitnessgram and record their laps completed and reading on the pedometers. Then they would compare the pedometer reading to the one recorded after playing a modified volleyball game.

In general, the higher the activity level the more enjoyable it will be for the students to use the pedometers. They appreciate the challenges of competition. They'll tend to compete against others but you can also challenge them to compete against their own previous workout scores.

About two years ago I purchased 24 basic pedometers and was in the same situation in terms of what games and activities the class was going to participate in. I found that having the students keep a running total of their distance traveled within a certain time period was an effective way to keep interest. Students would walk, jog, or run for the first 10-minutes of class and then record their distance on a excel spreadsheet. They enjoyed tracking and competing against their friends the most in this lesson. Thanks. Doug Stokes

We have introduced pedometers for our walk across america activity at recess. We have a walking club for students and are keeping track of how far each child walks at recess. Students keep track of their individual totals on a spreadsheet and we keep track of where we have gone and are going on a giant map of the US. It has been a great motivational tool for kids to be walking and staying fit!

thanks

Janine

Mojo Kickball is a great game for this. Check out the website at www.mojokickball.com

This is a game that requires everyone to be active and moving. The website provides you with all the rules on how to play the game.

The students love it!

I do a variety of games with my students in grades 5-8 with pedometers. First, we do a lesson on how to use them properly and then we play a quick game like Pac-man. Then I have them find their heart rate and target heart rates with them doing various movement activities such as jumping rope etc. They then have to record their heart rate. After they have learned how to use them I have them measure their distance and convert them to miles we try to estimate distace in steps to and from various locations. I make it a competition to see who estimated the closest get to pick an extra game the last 5-10 minutes of class. Kids get into trying to find out who can guess the closest distance. Sometimes I put them in groups and make it similiar to a scavenger hunt. First group to finish get a prize or something fun.