Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DDR and Nintendo Wii Fit

Debbie,
How many students do you have at one time? DDR and Wii sound awesome, but I am trying to figure out how many I would need to keep a class of 30 students going. I would also need to figure out funding. Once I am sure how many, I can work on the funding aspect.

We have six DDR pads hooked up to three tv's at our school. The kids do love them but the maintenance is tough because it seems like there is always one that is not working. They are nice to have because students do love to play.

I love the idea of the Wii in the gym and my principal allowed us to use grant money to purchase 4 consoles and television sets. We are planning on using them during gym class, recess, and our after school fitness club. Teachers will have the ability to sign up a Wii to use as a reward for their classroom too. Are there any other games that are good for PE? We are getting Wii Resorts and Wii Sports with the consoles and 4 sets of controllers per Wii. We are extremely lucky and fortunate to have these coming and can have 16 students active at the same time. We are hoping the systems will improve behavior and fitness for the entire school. I am expecting to have as much positive responses as the other posts!

Any JUST DANCE games are great! Since we didn't have a Wii at school I would use my laptop and from youtube play videos. The kids loved it. The only downfall was the time it took to buffer was ridiculous. The price for a Wii has gone down but after doing Lesson #2 for Technology in P.E. course. I am leaning towards harassing my school for an Xbox 360 with Kinect. The Nike + Training game looks to be like a PX90 workout.

I have been asked about them and I would love to do it. the problem that I see with it is you can only have a max of four students working at a time. you could have students doing it in the background but they do not get the instant satisfaction like the players playing would with a final score. I have thought about doing it as part of a circuit though.