Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: missing classes

We have a very similar situation at our High School. I like the assignments listed on the website, though. I might have to try that! We just have hard copies in the gym for them to complete. Our PE is a graduation requirement, so we have a very low rate of true "cuts," (not showing up). We do not allow kids to participate without proper dress though. For these kids, the PE staff donates 1 day per week to man our fitness facility for 1 hour. Kids can come in and "make-up" classes by exercising after school in our weight room. 30 minutes of exercise equals one class they missed.

We do the same for missing classes at my school. We also have an extra period attached to their lunch and they can come at this time and make up 30 minutes of exercise in the fitness room.

@ Ian,
that is pretty much what we do, but we have it early in the morning to make it as unpleasant as possible. I have students who would rather come and workout than participate in a regular PE class.

I'm pushing for a zero hour to account for make-ups in our district. The school I student taught at had a policy that students would come in on zero hour to make up excused absences. This could maybe work for a minor medical situation as well as maybe a 1/2 credit thing for unexcused absences. I'm going to post this question as a main topic. Let me know what you think.

I do not have a problem with cutting but can you supply me with a copy of the medical makeup!!??

We do not allow make ups for cuts that the student "skipped" class. We do allow for make-ups for legit absenses such as guidance appointments, or a documented absense from school.

I would rather see the student that "cut" involved in activity rather than just receive an "N" for the day. My students that need a make up must come after the school and do the acitivity of my choice.

Hi Janine,

I am on board with the notion of not allowing students to make up a "cut". Personally, i wouldnt give them a 2nd chance. However, if you were to allow a make up of a cut I would have the make up be something on the order of a 30 minute intense workout at a time most inconvenient. We have a 1st period that the teachers use as a prep (7:00 am), other than students who play in the band, no one has a class. If you have a similar situation that is when I would have the students come in to make it up. I use this method for unprepared students, but not cuts.

Hope that helps

Our school policy is that students are not allowed to make up unexcused absences so that is what we follow. We send our students on medical to the library to do written work for the days they are out. Most of the students choose to do it but some don't and they receive a zero.