Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: weight room funding

I would check local gyms and clubs. They're constantly getting new equipment and looking to get rid of the old stuff free of charge. It's a write off for them so they'd be willing to do it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The funding aspect can be done through fund raisers. I have done a squat/pushup- athon competion,car washes,selling candy are some ideas. There are also many grants out there, you need to reseaerch them. A local Y.M.C.A.or gym can often get a tax write off if they donate the equipment to a school.The type of equipment depends if you are doing athletics or P.E./Health.Athletics go for squat racks, these can be used for many different exercises that work the entire body. P.E. class, machines that the weight can be changed by a pin, not free weights.

With school funding being cut and weight rooms low on the priority list...look to corporations in your area for sponsorship. Have a definite vision, a set plan, figures, etc. Find a school adminstrator that will support your efforts for not only the sports teams to use the facility but also physical education classes. Physical education and improvement in test scores are directly related! Use that angle to sell your vision. See if individuals would like to have naming rights on a piece of equipment...have a plaque printed up saying "this machine donated by XYZ Corporation" or put it out there to your alumni to name a machine. There are a lot of grants available...check out the NASPE website for long list! Be persistent in your goal.

We just went through the process of renovating the weight room at my HS a few years ago. It was initially part of the referendum but not everything. After we found out how much money was needed our Athletic Director went to all the head coaches and asked if their booster clubs could donate some money. That gave them a starting point and from there they continued to ask for donations from different companies and along the way the school found some money here and there to help develop a great fitness center. The good thing is that each year we add 1 or 2 things to it to make it better.

It sounds as though many high school weight rooms are in the same boat! Our entire school has been renovated, including new gymnasiums BUT, still no new weight room or even weight room equipment! We have begun the research process to renovate and upgrade through a fundraising effort by a parent-guided organization. I have heard of schools obtaining used equipment from local Military bases; Often their equipment has been impeccably kept and maintained! Additionally, many fitness experts recommend LEASING the weight room cardio equipment so it can be updated when new machines are available. This way your budget does not change, and you are able to provide students with cutting-edge fitness technology!

I'm at a Jr High and we converted out oversized storage for PE equipment into a weight room and use two smaller closets inside the locker rooms for our storage. We were able to get 6 machines from a local gym when they upgraded. We also had a sale where we asked people to bring in things they wanted to get rid of (posted on our school website for spring clean up). We held a sale in our cafeteria with all the donations and made over a thousand dollars that we used to buy dumbbells. Our school nurse won a grant as well for a fitness program she started and purchased three treadmills for us. Each year, we try to replace/add out of our budget.