Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: IPODS

Our middle school does not allow them... However, because we are trying to practice lifelong fitness, we see it as a great motivator for students. We emphasize that if they want to take the risk in bringing them to school that they are put away at all times, except for our weekly 3 mile runs.

Our school had a similar policy, however they recently revised it. I actually have been encouraging the PE students to bring their IPODs to class. As we all know, exercise, particularly cardio-workouts you need a distraction...music is a great way to accomodate that! I would have an easier time running with music versus no music. Like you mentioned it is a great motivator. We need to look at technology and not fight it but use it to our advantage. There are also some great apps for fitness, nutrition and healthy liefstyle habits that can be used in classes.

My son just got an IPod Touch for Christmas. An app called iFitness is on it. It's has several exercises for each body part and has pictures that demonstrate the exercise. It's pretty cool. My family and I have made it this app into a game. We select a body part to work on, spin the exercises, close our eyes and touch the screen to select the exercise. Which ever exercise is selected we all must do for 10 reps. It's a lot of fun. I start a fitness unit next week, I plan on playing the "Fitness Game" with my students.

I really love your idea. I will check it out!

Students in my school are not allowed to have iPods in school either, but I allow them to bring them to class for the days we are in our fitness room. There are a few apps I use to help out with making up workouts for PE classes or with my wrestling team: Crossfit Daily, Fitness Free, and Gorilla Lite. There is a good app to help kids with identifying muscles as well - 3D Musculoskeletal Quiz, and Fitness Muscle Mobile has great tips and video tutorials that show how to properly perform different weight training exercises.