Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Elementary PE everyday

I have taught elementary PE in two different school buildings for 12 years. For the first few years, the students had PE 3 times per cycle. Since the district has begun a new Spanish curriculum, 1 day was taken away from all specials, reducing PE class meetings to 2 times per cycle. It is awesome that you live in a state that is attempting, at least in theory, to require daily PE for all students.

Our students are suppose to have PE daily up to 3rd grade for a total of 120 mintues a week. However it seems with school districts taking a hit in state aid this manadte is not being meet. Currently my students receive PE 2x a week for 45 mintues half the year and 3x a week for 45 mintues the other half!!

Our school district is down to the minimum time limits. K-is 30 minutes once a week. 1-5 has P.E. for 30 minutes 2x a week! It is almost impossible to teach the state curriculum.

This is my 22nd year teaching elementary Physical Education and I have never had the students for more than 2x per week. This year I have K for 30 minutes once a week and grades 1-4 35 minutes 2x per week. Some days I have 10 classes that I will run through and have class from 8:35-3:15 with a 1/2 hour lunch and a 1/2 hour plan. Classes are back to back so there is little time in between to prepare for the next class.It can get hectic but I prefer to see them like this than 1x per week like it used to be. That was a total of 36 times per year. Pretty tough getting anything accomplished.

Ken,

I taught PE in the elementary for nine years and jsut accepted a middle school position in the same district. While in the elementary i had the same students once every day for 50 minutes for 9 weeks. After that, they went to art for nine weeks, then music and so on. I can't imagine teaching like you are. I have many PE teachers i know in the area who have the same schedule as you do. Hang in there and talk to the principal, school board about changing this. It is the only wey to go!

Hi
I teach elementary on Long Island, NY. We do not have PE everyday, we at the elementary level teach our students 2x a week for 40mins per class. Our students do not have to change clothes so we can every minute in. Our schedules vary as some teach single classes and others teach double classes. Sometimes the schedules work out so that the same two classes come together as doubles which makes planning easier but there are times when they don't and one class will be ahead or behind the other in the unit. Our students do get 20 minutes of recess everyday (unless bad weather. We try to incorporate physical activity movements in their classrooms by providing the classroom teachers websites and activities.