Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: multi-media in the gym

Hi,

We actually installed a smart board into our weight room just off of the gym. It has become another teaching station for us and has been very successful. There are so many uses for the smart board...we dont just use it for weight lifting demo's but for introducitions for all of our units, videos on skills, music, lesson planning, and just about anything else you could think of!

Hi Kimberly....we have integrated technology in the gym by obtaining a computer cart (grant funded)complete with a laptop and a projector. We use the laptop to create power points, view youtube videos, and show video taping of students. We then project onto a large wall in the gym and the kids really love it, especially watching themselves perform different activities.

I am glad to hear your school lets you show youtube videos to the students. In my district we are very limited as to what sites we can use.

Hello, similar to some of the other responses, we use an lcd projector in a variety of ways. Although, instead of having a pull down screen, we use a white board. We have found this to be a little more practical and can use it for many things (writing lesson overview, keeping score, etc..). We have also asked the IT department to install a wireless router in the gym. On occasion we ask the students to bring laptops (school laptop program from grades 9-12) and do research or access assessment tasks posted online.

At my school, I have in the past, used the TV/VCR combo, the LCD projector with computer and just recently the use of a smart board. All three technologies are on carts so we can easily move them out of the gym and share them with the music and art teachers who use them far more than I do. I still utilize all three. Most often using the LCD projector to show short video clips of activity or a certain skill and use the smart board for posting lesson plans and for students to respond to activity questions.

We have a AV cart that we keep in our storage room that has a DVD/VCR player along with an old laptop hooked to a projector. We show all or our videos up on the wall as well as cllips from various websites.

We have an AV cart that has a laptop and InFocus on it. We have a white board (big white piece of cardboard) that we put on the gym wall. We are able to project on the board for the students to view. We even have speakers connected for sounds. Some times we turn off the gym lights so the kids can see better. It does work very well for us.

We dedicated a large part of our budget several years ago to purchase a projector that can be used with any type of media (computers, dvd's, cable). It has been awesome. We use it for fitness stations, open house night, fundraisers, and holiday events. The students love it and it is fun for us as well.

We do not have a projector in the gym, nor do we really have the budget to purchase our own. What we do is borrow one from our media center on the days that we need it and blast it up on our white cinder block walls. It works great and is huge for all the kids to see. We generally use it for DDR.