Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Presidential Physical Fitness Test

We do the Pres Fitness Test also, but with a twist. We do a pre-test (beginning of semester) and a post-test (end of semester). By doing this pre/post, we also look at/record the improvement of each test for every student. When giving them an actual grade for fitness, our department has decided to take the top three test results for each student. Seems like it is working for us.

I also do something similar to this but I look at self-improvement. If a student shows growth and improvement throughout the semester their grade is reflective of this.

We have switched to Fitnessgram. I do like the PACER test because it is a better measure of cardio-respiratory endurance. For the mile, a student needs to know the strategy of pacing themselves or they will not meet their maximum achievement. You could have a super fit kid that sprints the first half mile but then has to walk the rest because of a poor strategy (even though you taught the strategy).

Fitnessgram does 90 degree push ups, partial curls ups, sit and reach, shoulder stretch, trunk lift, and BMI. Curl ups and push ups is tough because we have their peers evaluate them and if their evaluator doesn't do a good job, the performer can get a better score than someone with more strength that did them correctly. Also, comparing weight and height isn't always a good indicator of body composition but most schools can't afford the technology to give an accurate assessment of body composition.