Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grading

This is an age old question, but I would like some input on ways that people formulate grades at the high school level. Currently the way that we do it is that at the beginning of the term, each student begins with 100 points. For each absence they have, we take away 5 pts. Each non-suit takes 2.5, tardies -1, and poor behavior/lack of effort can take away 1-3 pts. I would like to add some projects and more academic assignments with tests, but am a little unsure as to how to weight those assignments appropriately.

Does anyone have a grading system that they are prod of and would like to share?

Thanks!

Re: Grading

Our grading process is very similar to what you have been using. We do however, allow students to gain points back for unprepared days. They have a written assignments that they are to complete that day in class, in order to recieve some points back.
I used to give skills tests as well as written tests in another district that I taught, but that is not the grading policy where I am now. Maybe you can revisit your grading policy and make some changes to include those assessments.

I'm at a Jr High (grades 8-9), but I know some of our high school teachers use a similar grading system. I use a cumulative grading system. Each day is worth 10 points. If they are absent for ANY reason, -10 points. They can make it up with a written assignment in our school, and our high school allows students to come in before or stay after on certain days to make up with certain exercises. We had many students missing alot of classes for various reasons (illness, band lessons, make up work in other classes, etc.) and some kids were getting better grades than they deserved, which is why we have them make up every class that's missed. I deduct points from their 10 if unprepared, unsportsmanlike, not following directions/rules, poor attitude, or lack of participation. You can always add quizzes and tests and make worth as many points as you want depending on importance, or even homework assignments. We use an electronic gradebook in our district, so total points they earned is automatically calculated into their grade. Our students can go on a Portal and see their grades at any time as well.

Thats interesting stuff Jason! thanks

Very similar for me - teach 6-8 PE. Activity days are worth 10 points and our fitness days are worth 25 points. I mark down half credti for non-suit, then they also lose points for effort and sportsmandship. We allow make ups by coming in during lunch or during our before school conditioning class.

Our program has similarities to some of the other replies in this thread. We have an elective program where we offer choices of either a Team Sport, a Racquet Activity or a fitness Elective. Each class will have 3 choices and each student will select an activity that interests them. I am writing this because participation seems to increase if the student has a choice in the decision process. Each block will last 5 weeks. Each day will be worth 5pts to total a possible 40. Include a skills test worth 5 pts. At the end of the quarter the class has an opportunity to submit a written assignment. This is worth 10 pts for a total of 100 pts. Each class the students need to behave, put forth effort and be prepared with gym clothes. Unprepared students get a zero for the day. Absent students have an opportunity to make up the class. If no makeup occurs, it will count as a zero.