Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pedometer question...

We have pedometers that clip on to the clothing that the students can use. They seem to be very effective and show immediate feedback to the students after our workpouts. Hope this helps

I purchased pedometers out of USGames or Nasco for something like $2/unit. Somewhere around January, I usually have to start changing batteries b/c they are getting so much use... The batteries can be found inexpensively online. I tried purchasing a more expensive pedometer but found they had the same breakage rate and battery dying rate as the cheapos.

I use the pedometers with the extra strap. This saves them a little longer. Does anyone know which type of pedometer that has a "strong case".

I also use pedometers at the elementary level and record their scores by miles on our wall with a walking catepillar, each segment equals 100 miles waled in class or at recess time. At recess the students can walk a predetermined path that is measured and then I convert it to miles for the catepillar. We also purchased them with the safety straps because the students tend to not clip them on very tight using the alligator clips. Batteries are always a problem because they do run out quick. The students seem to really like to use them and get immediate feedback on how many steps they are taking in class.

At the end of every year, for summer packets and information regarding the next school year I include pedometers in the list of school supplies that students must have. I have a little resistance, but parents now know where to go. I usually don't have to many problems witha particular brand and i haven't had any luck finding any at any $1 stores to make them more affordable to parents. In michigan meijer grocery store is about the best place to find them and they arent to expensive either. Usually about $5.