Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parent Night

We have back to school night for parents and have thrown around some ideas in our PE department of creating a powerpoint or video montage for the parents to see what thier children do in our classes. Any ideas or suggestions for me as to what you do in your schools for this night.
Thanks

Re: Parent Night

We made a video a few years back that we play in the gymnasium on back to school night. We worked hand in hand with our TV production class when creating the video. Students videotaped many of the various activities that we have our students involved in throughout the year and even conducted some interviews along the way to spark some more interest in our program.
We had each grade level represented in the video, and many different activities from team games, to fitness activities, to dance and probably our most important activity, our CAP (Challenge Adventure Program) climbing program. It's important for the parents to understand that we are more than "just gym class" to the students. When they see first hand the enjoyment that they get from Climbing, exercising and even square dancing and ballroom dancing, they will be more apt to support us.
I would suggest going to your TV production class and asking the teacher to assign this as a project for their students. If you don't have a tv production class, ask your administrators if you can film some of your classes for use in a video. It's a great addition to our back to school night activities.

To promote family fitness, our school district had a orienteering course at the local park. Parent/student teams could win prizes for the best completion time.

Many teachers in our school use power point presentations during parent night as a way to introduce themselves and the curriclum. It is nice to have a presentation to follow especially if you teach multiple sections and have many groups of parents coming through. Not only does having a power point look professional but then you are sure to cover everything you wanted to.

What a great idea! I'm going to talk to my school's video production class to see if we can do something like this for next school year.

That's a great idea. We have also done it in the past where we have the gym set up into 8-12 fitness stations, and as the parents and kids come in, they can participate. The kids usually jump right in and drag their parents along the whole time. It's quite funny.

We created a powerpoint for our back to school night. It works really well and allows parents to see our expectations and units as we talk about them. It is a great resource for a very informational night.

For our Parent Nights I generally design a PowerPoint with basic information about the class. I include a rough schedule of the year's (or semester) plan. I also make sure to provide my contact details for parents in case they need to get in touch with me. I usually throw in some interesting PE facts as well, and some fun facts about me!

We have a very similar parent night. We have a power point presentation that goes through our curriculum and expectations. We also have our fitness center open for parents to go through.

In addition to running a power point of activities that we do throughout the year I have also thought about setting up stations consisting of the fitness tests that we perform in class for parents to attempt. I think it would be fun for parents to attempt some of the tests their children do to see how they perform. I think it might lead to enhanced motivation from the students when they take them and can lead to discussions at home pertaining to health/physical fitness.