Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: opting out

I am aware of one district in Pennsylvania that has implemented a similar policy. I am sure that there are more that I'm not aware of. I agree with you, it is a shame. I think that they are missing out on the social benefits associated with participating in physical education.

Our school district has a "Plan 2" that allows kids to use two seasons of a school sport at any level to serve as a PE credit. However, not many kids do this.

The main problem in our district is summer school, where Wellness and Healthful Living are the only classes that are taught for credit advancement instead of credit reovery. Instead of 18 weeks of the class, the students can do it in 6 weeks in the summer, many times with a non-certified teacher. We end up having a lot of the kids do the Wellness class in the summer so they can chose other electives or some of them do it because they know it will be an easier way to "get the credit out of the way". We've fought it for years to no avail.

I teach middle school grades 7/8. I want my students to be involved in class as much as possible and I do not want to spend a lot of time fighting the clothing issue. Therefore I have made it part of their participation grade. If they are not properly dressed then they cannot participate to the best of their ability. Not only that but there is a cleanliness factor that I address on the first class of the term. The way it works is this. I will give them a 100 in powergrade under participation. In order to keep the 100 they must come to class prepared and participate in all the activities unless their is a medical excuse that does not allow them to participate. I require clothing that meets or exceeds the school dress code to be worn in class. I actually go further than that in regards to shirts in that I require a high neck shirt. At the end of class they must have something else to change into, meaning different shirt and different shorts or pants. If they forget a change of clothes or do not have the proper clothes for class a deduction is made of 2 points for shirts, 2 for pants or shorts, and 3 for sneakers. If their footwear or clothing does not allow them to participate safely then they must sit out and take and additional deduction of 5 points. I rarely have to deduct points. Occasionally I have a student who refuses to bring clothes and change up. I contact parents and let them know. Many times that fixes it. Ultimately if they continue not to bring clothes it is recorded as a failing grade in that category. The overall effect is that their final grade is brought down by one letter grade. This works well for me.

Our system is very similar to yours except our students have a PE uniform. We do have more students unprepared than most schools since they must where a specific shirt. Overall, the kids do a good job changing and only get a few points deducted if they are not changed properly.

We have a waiver at our school for varsity athletes that are involved in at least two sports or marching band. I am also not in favor of this option. I feel as if this option makes it seem as if p.e. is not as important as other subject areas. I also agree that some of the varsity athletes can be great helpers in the phys. ed. classroom.

We have started an athletic physical education class and that seems to help keep some students in the p.e. classroom. We can't keep them all but I sure am going to keep trying.

Greetings!

Our policy at the high school is that students are required to take pe/health 9th-11th grade. As seniors, if they choose to, students can take an elective course - Personal Fitness. Opting out is not an option. The idea of opting out of pe for athletes is not a great idea simply because they are not getting the activity and socialization with ALL of their peers as they should. They are only exercising sport specific muscles and learning about sport specific concepts. Therefore, it is only hindering them from becoming a well rounded, whole athlete.