Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smartphone Apps for Phys Ed

Has anyone come across any new apps for the smartphones that are able to apply to the Phys Ed Classroom?

Re: Smartphone Apps for Phys Ed

I recently download a stopwatch and time app to my Droid. This worked well for me when I was coaching track trying to keep track of splits. I thought it to be less confusing compared to most of the stopwatches I have previously used.

there is a 16 part series of P.E. applications available at www.pegeek.com. This website is devoted to connecting technology to learning.

My favorite to use with my students is the "Pedometer FREE" app by ARAWELLA CORPORATION. Working in a school in South Korea, ALL students have smartphones. Since this app is free, there is no reason not to use it in and out of the classroom.

You can find it here:

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/pedometer-free/id362306160?mt=8

Not only do I like that it tracks speed, time, distance, but it also allows the user to track their own progress and post their accomplishments via Twitter and Facebook. Furthermore, the user can also email their stats; which is invaluable for a coach/teacher to keep records.

(there are ways around it though. The students can easily shake their phone while watching television. Some students try it every time.)

I really like the Nike+ app. Because it is GPS based, the kids have to actually travel the distance, and can't cheat like they can with a pedometer.

My students do a 20 minute run/walk once a week, and the app has allowed me to set a minimum distance they have to travel when we do it in the gym due to weather.

Better yet, the app allows the kids to play their music at the same time, set and track goals and post their results to Facebook.

I found a great app called Cardio. The app takes a scan of the users face and determines heart rate just by scanning the reflection. I was skeptical but I have used it again and again and it is right on every time. The app costs 1.99 but it is well worth it. Think of all the time that you will save by not having to put a strap on a student in order to track their heart rate.

It is funny that you ask this. Last November 2014, our department completed Professional Development that required us to research effective applications for classroom/physical activity use. We found a bunch of different ones and really came to the conclusion that the teacher has great individual freedom to find what works with the content being taught.

Some of the applications we found useful are listed as follows:
Run Keeper, Pacer/Pedometer, Gym Friend, Daily Workouts, MyFitnessPal, Fooducate, Nutrition Quiz, Kid Recipes, AddressStress, Guided Mind, SAM, Relax Melodies

There are many others out there that even include using the camera in your phone to measure your heart rate! Technology is crazy! We just need to figure out how to use it to our advantage within our curriculum.