Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Self-Assessment Using Video

This school year, I did a self assessment lesson where the students used flip cameras to video taping their partners performing archery. After video taping for five arrows, the shooter then watched their performance and filled out a self-assessment handout based on what they saw.

Does anyone have other activities or skills they have tried with self or peer assessment using video that they had success with?

Re: Self-Assessment Using Video

I have a very, how do I say, eclectic job position. Not only do I have PE courses, but also am the sponsor of the school's drumline. As you may know, drumlines/marching bands/bugle corps are extremely physical and very precise.

I often see major similarities between my PE courses and this group. Nevertheless, I use video weekly with them so they can see their sticking, movements, formations and other precision aspects of their performances. Physically a drumline doesn't cut it when they are sloppy.

I would say video cameras have enables my classes to not only evaluate themselves and their peers, but also provides a record that I can track their progress and serves as a medium as to which I then can communicate what we are doing in the classroom to parents and the community.

I've used video for self evaluation in my High School PE classes. I have the kids video tape a partner's running form, upload it in our Mac Lab and then have each student compare their own running form to a four frame analysis of proper running form. Through the use of imovie, the students can advance the video frame by frame to get to the exact points of the 4-frame anaylsis that they are given to compare their form running against.

This project has been a great tool in allowing the students to see what I see and make adjustments in their form running that they would not have been able to make if they had not seen themselves run on video.

I create a skill checklist and then I have them video themselves demonstrating each of the skills on the checklist. After they have done this I have them upload a link to their video to my school google account so I can evaluate them (sometimes I have a peer group review the skills).

I have done a similar activity in archery except I watch the video with the student and have them identify areas of strength and weakness. The activity worked well because I could tell how knowledgeable they were about archery form and technique, and it also demonstrated to the participant specific feedback on their performance.

This activity sounds fantastic. In our school district in Newington Connecticut, we teach archery and golf. My colleague and I have been wanting to implement a video assessment in both of these units based upon the skill cues we use to teach. I would love to know how the students reacted to the activity.

Our idea is to use ipad to take video at two different angles for the archery and golf swings. One would be a side angle, and the other would be a rear view. This would help our students analyze their swing and shot much better. As teachers, we could provide specific feedback to help improve student performance.

I guess an additional thought could be to utilize this video as a small piece of a larger class e-portfolio. Students upload their videos and complete a reflective analysis based upon the parameters that you set up for them.

How did you like using the flip cameras? Have you ever heard of anyone using Go-Pro cameras?