Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Discussion Post # 1

Educational technology is technology that is taught to enhance productivity and improve performance. In my experience, I have used computer software, video recording devices, exergaming, applications, GPS devices, heart rate monitors, pedometers, stopwatches, CD’s, DVD’s, projections screens, laptops and computers. I plan on using an Ipad next school year and experimenting with apps for teaching and coaching. I am coaching a varsity volleyball team in August and am looking to see what I can use to increase productivity in my coaching and the performance of my players. Also, I am hoping to find some quality HR monitors that can do other things that I can use in Physical Education lessons. I will use the HR rate monitors to increase effort, enjoyment and learning.

Re: Discussion Post # 1

I also coach volleyball and we use a program called ISTAT volleyball for the IPAD. It can be a little confusing at first, but it keeps all your stats and the kids have feedback right away. I teach it to my freshman and it takes a few games to figure it out. We just make sure there are 2-3 girls on the bench to help out each game. By the time they are on varsity we have only one girl doing stats for each game. It is one of the most user friendly stat programs I have used.

I also use my Ipad to take film of players and students in my class. Once a girl told me she was tired from working too hard. I told her she didn't move around to much so she must be out of shape. So I filmed her playing the game and showed it to her at the end of class. She saw that she only moved in a straight line about 5ft in each direction. Not much when you are playing a full court game of basketball. I have also used it to take photos to promote our program and to do grades while in class.

Re: Discussion Post # 1

My school is just getting on the leading edge of technology. I have used Cd's, dvd's, the basics. Finally we have some updated tech that we can enhance our program. I am excited to see what we can accomplish. Any ideas with projectors, a few heart rate monitors, would be greatly appreciated.