Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ipads in Physical Education

I think that videoing the students would be a great idea. There is an app Called ubersense that I use with high school kids to show there throwing and swing motion. It could be really cool to show them the proper way to throw and you can also draw lines on the app to show them

I agree. Video taping the students is a great resource for the IPads. The lesson plan I am developing for this class involves putting students in small groups and using the camera feature of the IPad to record themselves performing certain tasks (basketball skills for example). After the recordings are complete, they do a peer assessment while watching the videos and using a rating scale of 0-2. I am in the process of studying other useful apps as well.

I'm not aware of any apps for the IPad, but I think it is awesome that you can use the IPad in the gym. You can record fitness scores, do attendance and other record keeping all on the spot rather than having to transfer written data into your computer later in the day. We have some teachers in our department who own their own personal IPads, and they use it to send their fitness scores to Fitstats at the time their students complete their fitness testing. It saves tons of time!

If you do cupstacking in your class then the app IStack is a great timer to use if you do not have any or enough stacking timers. I have used this and found it to be successful. I have also incorporated using the Ipad by taking my attendance on it Getting rid of the paper-pencil method is great.

My principal is big into the flip classroom concept. Teachers filming their lectures and posting them online for parents to view. I have been filming my students in Phys ed to teach technique. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I film them, show and review instantly then post on my blog for the parents and students to see.

I am always looking for ways to promote my PE program to the community. Blogging is a way I am not familiar with,but willing to try to reach more parents. The kids will really enjoyed making how-to videos as well on proper techniques in learning new skills.

I have used IPADS in my elementary setting for a few years now. I have used a variety of apps for teaching my lessons. I have not mastered all these apps, but I have looked at them in action and got them approved by my district tech department. The apps include ab workout, arm workout, leg workout, CMV free (coach my video)for video analysis, coach's eye video analysis, cardiio- check heart rate,coin toss- to make decisions, flip score pro-used for score keeping, do dance-xbox kinect like, iMuscle 2-muscles in action, instant replay-get filmed at watch it back instantly, seconds pro- multi-functioning timers, spin it- a fun tool that can be making decision random by spinning a wheel, tap a lap- design for counting laps, team shake- making teams, decide now- random spinner that can be customized and make dice-custom made dice for a variety of decision making. The students have used some of these apps as well and are excited to be part of their own learning. There is a website called the PE Geek who is the master when it comes to PE and health related apps. I am also looking for the next and new and exciting apps to teach these child of the 21st century and how it will enhance my PE program. Special note: I have 4 Ipads so I commonly divided the class into quadrants to share the IPads. I have a HDMI adapter that I hook up to a projector, so all my students can see the app in action.

We use Ipads in may different formats for our classes. We have use them to give self-assessments of performance and peer-assessments of performance. Students receive great feedback after they see a recording of their performance and it allows them to look at what they did correctly or incorrectly.

We also have use an App for keeping score in our bowling unit. The App is easy to download and it is so much easier for the students to enter the score on the Ipad and it application keeps score for them. We use to teach how to keep score the old-school way with pencil and paper. This App allows us to get rid of the paper and pencil mess. The students copy their overall scores and emails it to the teacher.

Your use of the ipad is incredible. I am impressed with your willingness to infuse technology into your classes with all the different applications.

We have played with or discussed the idea of getting ipads for our Physical Education classes. I know we would use them for video analysis, but the applications that you have provided give me direction and ideas about how we could use them at our high school level. Even something as simple as a timer in which the students can keep track of time spent for activity is useful!

I have heard of the CMV (Coach My Video) application and would love to hear more about how it works and how you use it in the classroom. Is the free version worth it? I would consider using it for analyzing a golf swing or archery shooting.

Thanks for the help!