Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number One (1)

I would completely agree with you and I would say that I also have developed my experiences with technology over the last two or three years. I've added different ways to enhance my student's learning through technology and it has helped my teaching tremendously. We are also looking into getting pedometers and heart rate monitors for our PE students. I feel that the students will greatly benefit from this.

Educational technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes in the field of education.
When I was a kid we were awed with the film projectors and slide projectors. There was always one kid who could run the film projector - how I envied that kid. Now everything has changed with video/dvd players, digital audio, and mainly computer technology. Computer technology has expanded so quickly most of us are grasping to catch up and learn what is possible, what can be done.
I have used the internet for teaching P.E. for many years. I have used my word processor for writing up things and making class lists. Beyond that I haven't really done too much with technology in physical education.
In this course I would like to learn about handhelds and how to use them for grading and having my lesson plan handy. I would like to learn about how to teach with heart rate monitors and about any other sorts of fitness tools. I would love to find a way to become more efficient in my job, which I always think technology is going to do, but to be honest have not had a lot of success towards.

Mike

Re: Re: Discussion Number One (1)

I too remember the days when we were excited to see a film strip in class, or those big reel movies where you hoped the sound matched the picture! I also remember in high school the computers we worked on were the Apple IIe with the green screens! And in my Computer I class, we had to write flow charts for assignments.......to this day I never understood that!

As I continue to learn more and more about technology in my classroom, I always chuckle to myself when a 12 year old can troubleshoot my technology blunders in the middle of class. Or, when the DVD players isn't working right, a kid pushes the right button and off we go.

Kids these days don't realize how technology is such a huge part of their lives. I have a cousin who is a sophomore in HS and text messaging is an important part of her social world. I was AMAZED at how fast she typed on her phone, and the " text language" that is used. The texting is a language in itself! You are right we are in a fast-paced technological world and it is hard to keep up. Sometimes it can be frustrating, but I feel that once I get it figured out, technology can save me so much time! :-)

Educational technology is technology that is used to enhance the learning process. It can be a Pilates video used for an aerobics class, an email to a parent regarding a student’s progress, a power point outlining the rules of a game, videotaping students in action, using a PDA to skills test, using the word processor to create handouts, and using a grade program to record students progress. I have used educational technology as a fastpitch coach. I videotaped my team hitting and then sat down with each girl and analyzed their swing with them. This allowed the girls to gain insight on their swing and make the necessary corrections. I have many expectations for this course. I use technology a lot in teaching health but have used it limited in teaching physical education. I am looking forward to learning ways of incorporating technology into my lessons. I am excited about leaning about PDAs and the many ways it can enhance my teaching.

Educational technology is a tool that enhances or supplements the learning process. Over the years, I have done a good deal of brainstorming on how to use and implement educational technology in the area of physical education.
To this point, I have used powerpoint presentations, audio, video, pedometers, heart rate monitors, spreadsheets, word processing, electronic grade book, web based grade book, VHS, CD, DVD, and the internet. There are several other technologies that I am interested in exploring, such as the Dance Dance Revolution game and the Cateye video game exercise bike.

In my 16 years of teaching elementary physical education, I have implemented a good deal of technology into my program. This implementation, has been somewhat slow. Some of my current ideas have been on the back burner for several years. I am hoping this course give me the confidence, knowledge, and motivation to persue and implement my additional educational technology interests in a timely fashion.

Educational technology, can be defined as a field that provides support in learning and teaching. Educational technology provides students with tools that make learning efficient, stimulating, and meets individual needs.
I consider myself and avid user of current technological resources. My experiences begin with powerpoint presentations, slideshows for my tennis teams, Excel spreadsheets, email, text messaging, and making DVD movies. Currently, I enjoy my Mac Powerbook! I swear by MacIntosh computers and find it to be user friendly and more practical in executing slideshows. In addition to being a computer and technology freak, I have introduced heart rate monitors and PE portfolios in my department. I have to admit, we have a well executed Physical Education program and we are now in the midst of introducing technology in our curriculum! At this time we are looking into purchasing software so that students can enter the data on their watches onto a program.
Sandee

To me, "Educational Technology" means the use of technology in any setting to aid, and be used as, an additional tool to further educate students through technology. This could be through research, skill based learning activities, and planning.

I remember rarely using any technology in PE and only things like a film projector, or VCR when I was in middle and high school. Now technology can easily be used in a PE setting as well as in a classroom environment.

My own experience using technology in PE is only for research projects that the kids do. We have a computer lab (but only get access to it for PE purposes once every 9 weeks or so). We research different fitness programs and report on those. I would like to have a computer in my gym so I could do things like chart calories burned, and other fitness statistics they do each day.

Hopefully with th is class I can see some different ideas that will allow me to improve and utilize technology better in my PE class.

I am going to be coaching girls softball this year and videotaping their swings, then showing them sounds great. They never listen when you tell them so if they can SEE it, then maybe it will sink in.

Educational technology is the use of an electrical device for the purpose of teaching. Educational technology can be devices like pedometers, heart rate monitors, PDA's, and computers. We are lucky enough with the help of a grant to have such devices. We just received the equipment and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I plan to use the pedometers as a resource for children to better understand the need to be physically educated. This class will help me learn and apply technological devices into my PE program.

Re: Discussion Number One (1) Reply to instructor

Educational Technology to me is all the up to date modern ways of teaching with the technology we are given to allow our students to grow in knowledge and understanding. The more modern technology we offer to our students in teaching, the more they become interested. At times we can go back and reflect on what and how it was once done, but with technology, it makes everything more interesting. The use of the pedometers in the classroom gives proof to the students that the number of steps taken in one day shows the amount of calories expended which can lead to weight loss and an average day of fitness with out having to run and work out all the time. The new fitness equipment in the weightrooms at the schools offer the options for cardio vs. just lifting weights. The girls gravitate to the cardio machines.
With coaching, I use something new every year! In the last 2 years I have brought the use of ladders, stabilizer balls, balancing balls, and parachutes in my training. The kids love the challenge and it makes for a fun practice!
I hope to accomplish some more understanding of different types of technology and how others have used it to benefit them in their teaching and coaching.

Technology is what it is. Its use in any educational setting will enhance student learning and better facilitate and equipment the instructor to be more effective and efficient with his/her responsibilities. Having become more "tech savvy" the last 4-5 years, I feel as though my students have benefited greatly. Within my own teaching and coaching situation, I have become more sophisticated in the use of powerpoint, the Fitnessgram software, Microsoft Office Suite, video productions, and skill analysis of my basketball players. Additionally, I have taken advantage of a number of students who are far more advanced technologically than I am. Students who have grown up in this "age of technology" can offer much insight, assistance, and creativity - physical educators should take advantage of such students. This course is allowing me to go beyond the "basic technology" available and become more creative with what we have at school. My biggest technological feat recently has been learning to fully use the Palm. For a long time physical educator who grew up professionally using the Daytimer, this has been quite a feat!

Mike,
I have done a great amount of up-to-date research relating to PDAs and supporting Physical Education software. Dr. Synder and I both have copies of my research. I am currently using a Palm Z22 ($99)getting use to its operation before "stepping up." I would recommend getting a simple PDA as I did to get comfortable with using one. If you would like the info, I would be willing to share it. I am sold on the PDA use for Physical Educators especially for those who also coach at the high school level.
Fred

Educational Technology is technology we can use to make a physical education program more exciting to today's students. With the invention of pedometers and heart rate monitors, our walk/jog unit has become more interesting to ALOT of our students.
We just got treadmills and stationary bikes donated to our physical education department. The students are really taking a liking to these. If you walk into any physical education class in our school, at least half of the students are over weight and some are obese by today's standards. The new and interesting technology we introduce to them is getting them interested in weight management.
This class will help me with using new technology and creating lesson plans for use in my classes.

We just started using PDA's in our high school physical education classes. I have been given a PalmOne-Lifedrive. I love it. Some instructors are having a hard time adjusting to it. One problem we are having at the moment is taking of class attendance. The entire roster will not fit the screen. We also are still having problems picking up a signal outside the building. But all in all, I think it is a great tool and I am also sold on it's use.

In my world, educational technology refers to any item that can support the curriculum in a field of study. In PE. the most prevelant technology supports learning about the body whether it is in pedometers, heart rate monitors or instapulse monitors. My experience in elementary pe has been positive with these items as long as I use it to supplement the student's learning about thier body. I took this course to have more ammunition to find diffeent ways to implement technology in my setting.

I think that you will find your students enjoying every minute when you use your pedometers. After the intial exploration, you will need to dream up ways to use them -such as bowling for steps or moving volleyball. Traditionally these sports are not as active but pedometers will really liven up your class!

Educational technology is very handy in both teaching and coaching. Everyday we use the internet for web sites and communication such as e-mails. Our school has moved to a computerized attendance program in which all of our computer work is done online. For coachingw e use video camcorders, web sites, and the internet for directions, information and maps. Communicating would not be as efficient as it is today without it. Some of the technology machines that we use are heart rate monitors, pedometers, treadmills, elliptical machines, and airdyne bikes. This better way of communicating is what educational technology means to be.

Educational technology is a teaching tool other than paper and pencil. It can be as simple as having students find a fitness article on the Internet or as complex as teaching target heart zones using heart rate monitors. The following is a list of technology that we use in our PE program:

1. HRMs
2. pedometers
3. Palm Pilot (just starting)
4. AEDs (training)
5. stopwatches
6. counter clock (circuit training)
7. scoreboard
8. camcorder
9. Dance, Dance Revolution (X-Box)
10. DVD Player & VHS Player
11. CD & Cassette Player
12. MP3 Player
13. Computer (using PowerPoint, Appleworks, Internet)

In this course, we hope to get a better understand of technology and its purpose. The information obtained will not only increase our knowledge of the importance of technology but also help convince co-workers who are technologically scared.

Hi, from what little i know about technology i believe that educational technology is any form of advanced technology that is used in the educational setting or realm for the benefits of the students. The ability to do research, comminicate and any other necessary tasks that we ask our modern students to accomplish. Educational technology has already passed many of the current educators in the field. Many of my co-workers of simalar teaching experience are in the same situation. We have little or no knowledge of the current technological advances as they relate to the educational setting. Most all of the new teachers that have been hired in the past 5-10 years come to the teaching profession with a huge advantage over the staff members who have been teaching for more than 20 years. My own experience with technology has been limited to the use of heart rate monitors, pedometers, body composition devices and items of that nature. I was a NCAA div. 1 mens soccer coach for the past 16 years, and still never used the computer for recruiting, and doing the many other tasks that the modern day coach must have knowledge of. I often stated that i had hoped to be dead before i was forced into using the computer and internet.....well i am still very alive and fortunately have about 12 more years to work with kids in the gym. So my hopes are that at the end of the class i wont break out into a cold sweat when i am asked to get on the computer and do some work or communicate with my co-workers. As i am finishing writing this note i am starting to panic, is there a spell-check on this site? Thanks Bobby Herodes

Hi, as i was reviewing your note for the tech. class with Glen Snyder, the one thing that you mentioned was already churning in my mind about taking time to sit down with one or two of my students at the high school to get some help as i go through the class. The students at our high school are very educated in the tech. realm and as you were talking about how they had helped you the wheels were turning. I am glad to see that you have accomplished your goal of working with the the palm, which i am asuming means the hand held computer. Bobby Herodes

I believe that educational technology is using any type of technology in your classroom to benefit the students. The way in which technology can be used is numerous - and it can range from very simple to much more complex types of technology. In my classes, all the handouts and worksheets are done using a word processor - and usually the information to use to complete these assignments can be found using certain site on the Internet. I have used several powerpoints to help my students grasp ideas and even activities that we participate in. I look forward to finding out how to incorporate other technologies into my class and to understand how they can benefit my classes. In a previous post, someone mentioned being able to take attendance while standing in the middle of the gym - I would love to be able to do that! I know the possibilities are endless, but I'm excited to be able to find out what is actually available to me and how I might be able to use it.

I define educational technology as any use of technology to enhance learning for both the student, educator, and parents. Educational technology can be used to enhance visuals, provide information, create graphs or graphic organizers and even be used to inform parents of your program/student achievements.
My experience with technology has been somewhat limited. I have used instructional videos, power point presentations, digital photos and the internet. The students seem to enjoy the technology advanced lessons.
In taking this course I would like to expand my technology resources and learn more about what is out there for physical education.
Most recently my department has been asked to pilot the new fitnessgram 8.2 software. We just recieved the software and are trying to piece together how we will implement it into our program. If anyone has used this software it would be great to have your input.
I would like to find out more about pedometers and heart rate monitors (we just purchased handhelds) and incorporate them into my fitness lessons.

Bobby- You are not alone! There are many vetern teachers out there afraid of technology. It is a bit intimidating. My advice to you is you are heading in the right direction by taking this class. I took it for some of the same reasons. Talk to the new staffers that are technology savy. I have learned so much from them! It is amazing to me that I was using a ditto machine when I first sarted teaching. I now am thankful for my computer!!

I would define educational technology as a mode of technology that advances students and teachers learnings. This mode of learning can include but is not limited to computers, PDA's, pedometers,videos,video cameras,and digital cameras. My personal experiences in using technology in physical education has included basic data input using excel, fitnessgram,actiivitygram,video tapes along with presenting information using power-point.
A few things that I hope to accomplish by the completion of this course include;(1) develop a better understanding of ways to incorporate technology into my physical education lessons, (2) identify various software that is suited for my student population, (3) identify resources and support systems that will help me with implementing the new technology .

Educational technology is the use of a technical instrument used to present or gain information. Its many facets are:

Computer--internet, email, computer programs
Pedometers
Heart rate monitors
digital camera/video recorder
media
music systems (ipods, turntables, radios)
body fat monitors
stop watch

I use technology in my classes in different ways. I have a grading program I use to keep a record of my students' progress in class. I use email to communicate with my students and parents. I use videos to deliver information. I have used video cameras in order to capture different movement skills that my students need to execute. I use cd players when doing fitness testing.

I hope to accomplish more awareness of the use of technology in PE, and how to incorporate in my classroom. I now have a class set of pedometers and would like to use them in a small unit, so if anyone has any creative ideas I would love to hear of them.

Hi Karen,
I read your response to the discussion and you said that you use pedometers in your classroom. How do you incorporate them into your class? How often do you use them? Do you have your student record their information? Does each student have a pedometer? We will be getting treadmills next year. What are some activities you do in your jog/walk unit?

Thanks for your time,
Janelle

Educational teachnology is using tools available to increase our influence on students and their learnings.
The biggest influnce out of the many facets of technology in education for me has been the use of video technology as a tool to coach football. Having the latest in video technology has allowed our coaching staff to greatly increase the influce of our coaching, and has allowed us to facilitate between theory and practice, making our players better.

For me, educational technology is the use of other than traditional equipment, whether electronic or manual in a classroom environment. I do not limit the term to electronic equipment only because some pedometers are not controlled by any sort of electricity. (kinetic pedometers, etc) There is all sorts of equipment that is meant to enhance the educational experience, even for PE.

I currently use a palm pilot to take attendance and track grades, use video games (Xavix and PS2) in the class room, use powerpoint for presentations of new ideas and for the final exam review, use lcd projector to broadcast important info, an Ipod to play music while students are doing activities, HR monitors to teach about activity levels, Fitnessgram software to provide valuable feedback, and a lot of other forms of technological enhancement.

From this class, I hope to get ideas about other ways to use technology. Ways to motivate students using technology. Ways to bring PE into the "digital age".

Educational Technology is the use of any form of technology in an educational system. In the area of Health and Phy. Ed. the use of technology has exploded over the past several years in my school. We have approximately 75 students in a class and we manage to use pedometers on a regular basis. We also do the Fitnessgram and each child receives a computerized printout of the results (fall and spring testing) at the end of the school year.
In our health classes, we utilize a computer lab to do research on communicable and non-communicable diseases. The students share their information with the class either with a homemade video or PowerPoint presentation. The use of technology really holds their interest!

Eduational technology is a resource tool used to enhance the learning environment. This includes but is not limited to instruments that are used to design, implement, manage, record, evaluate, and research all aspects of of learning. As a coach and teacher I use technology often. I have used baseball statistics sofware and websites to input game information. I have to email game reports after each game to the newspaper. As a teacher, we have used heart rate monitors, Power Point presentations, LCD projectors to enhance visual demonstration, the internet to take practice tests as well as research health issues. All of our attendance, progress reports, and grading are done on the computer. I hope to gain insight on how to better my lessons to keep up with the times in the world of fast paced technological advancement.

Educational technology is that of which is used to enhance the classroom learning environment to its fullest potential, while grasping the target audience with tools of interest. I have used Learner Profile, a gradekeeper software in which I use in my PDA; I have used heart rate monitors, as well as pedometers. In coaching, I used my PDA and a software called Digital Scout, which is a stat keeper. I like to use technology where applicable, as it has made my life easier. I hope this course can show me different tools of technology and how to incorporate them into my classroom.

wow, it sounds like your class sizes are huge! You certainly do get a lot done, I am pushing to have my classes use the computer aspect of the fitnessgram, do you have the students input their test results, or do you do it and then hand them out?

Re: Re: Re: Discussion Number One (1)

We have some of the classes do their own printouts and some we do ourselves. I know that sounds quirky but it basically gets down to the amount of time we have at the end of the year. Because of the end of the year activities we end up having some classes more than others. These are obviously the kids we get to do their fitnessgrams on their own.

Educational Technology is when student’s or teachers use technology to enhance learning. For example, classroom teachers are now using the Smart Board to help students learn differently. I am currently using a program called Fitness Report 7 with my PDA to do all my fitness testing. I also use an excel spreadsheet with my PDA to do all my grading. And this past spring I have tried a testing program called Turning Point to give my student’s written test. In this class I am hoping to find different ways for using technology in my classroom without taking away the physical aspect of what I do.

Educational technology to me is using various forms of technology to enhance the learning experience for the students. I have used several different types of technology in the past. In our district, we have pedometers at all elementary and middle schools. We use them on a regular basis for motivation, assessment and documentation. We also use heart rate monitors at the middle and high schools. I have just recently begun using them so I am not as familiar with them. That is one thing that I would like to gain from this course.

Another recent form of technology we are using is the DDR. We have incorporated it into our fitness center at the middle school with the approval of funding from our school board.

Educational technology to me is using various forms of technology that enables to the student to be more self directed in their learning process as well as a tool for the student to enhance their learning experience(s). I have used several different types of technology in the past. In our district, there has been a huge emphasis to incorporate technology into our classroom. The middle school that I teach at, we are very fortunate to have pedometer, heart rate monitors, treadmills and elipitical machines for the students to use. We use them on a regular basis for motivation, assessment and documentation. I also use a video camera to tape skill tests, and dance routines as a way for me to evaluate the students.We use this technology on our Fitness days during our units. Our fitness day occur two times a week. I have used the heart rate monitors and pedometers for the past 8 years, and recently have been incorportating the other tools as well, since we have recently had them the last 3 years.
There are other technologies that we would like to purchase for our department. Those being a DDR machines and the video exercise bikes. I am currently working with my principal in writing a grant to hopefully get monies to purchase these pieces of equipment.

What I am hoping to get from this class is the ability to use a PDA and learn about new technologies that I can use in my class.

Kevin

Educational technology is a way in which to level the playing field for students. Technology should be used to promote efficiency in teaching, learning and assessment.

I have used the internet and pedometers in the PE setting, but it requires some creativity to bring technology into the gymnasium.

I look forward to learning some new and innovative ways that I bring technology into PE!

Euducational Technology to me is the bringing in of technology to the classroom and using it to educate the student far beyond the normal way(paper and pencils, lecture, visual aids, ect.) of teaching our youth. I have used many different aspects of technology such as, heart rate monitors, pedometers, impulse meter, hand held %body fat tester. We also have a fitness center that includes DDR Machines, olipticals, game bikes, and resistence training machines. I have also used video to record certain techniques in teaching and coaching.

I hope to accomplish more ways to bring techology to the classroom.

Educational techonology is using various forms of technology (i.e. computer, video, audio, software, etc.) to enhance the learning process. It also aides in more effective teaching, as well as assessment and feedback.

I use pedometers, video, audio, varous forms of fitness equipment (Bosu ball, dumb bells, strenth/cardio equipment, medicine balls, etc), as well as ipods, ipod docking station. I personally use a heart rate monitor when I work out, however, I have yet to do so with my students because I need to write a grant first!

Educational technology is used to enhance and supplement our learning process in the classroom as well as prepare our students for their future in the outside world.

I have used many different avenues of technology. Powerpoints for teaching new units, excel spread sheets, weight lifting computer based program, on-line grade book as well as posting daily attendance and final grades, DVD's, CD's, class sharepoint websites, internet, ellipticals, treadmills, and recumbent bikes as well as heart rate monitors.

In coaching I utilize the excel spread sheets to help with budgeting. I also use a computer based program for my gymnastics meet scores, video camera and digital camera's for learning new skills and correcting problems.

In this class I hope to find a few new avenues of how to incorporate more technology into my classes. I know I use it some, but I know we could utilize it more in our high school program. I look forward to learning about many different ideas and I hope to implement them this school year.

Educational technology is used to enhance and supplement our learning process in the classroom as well as prepare our students for their future in the outside world.

I have used many different avenues of technology. Powerpoints for teaching new units, excel spread sheets, weight lifting computer based program, on-line grade book as well as posting daily attendance and final grades, DVD's, CD's, class sharepoint websites, internet, ellipticals, treadmills, and recumbent bikes as well as heart rate monitors.

In coaching I utilize the excel spread sheets to help with budgeting. I also use a computer based program for my gymnastics meet scores, video camera and digital camera's for learning new skills and correcting problems.

In this class I hope to find a few new avenues of how to incorporate more technology into my classes. I know I use it some, but I know we could utilize it more in our high school program. I look forward to learning about many different ideas and I hope to implement them this school year.

I also use the video camera as a teaching tool in coaching my sport of gymnastics and cheerleading. It is so helpful for the athletes to actually see what they are doing wrong.
I have used technology in PE in many different ways so far. Assignments for different sports using the internet, heart rate monitors, powerpoint presentations for teaching weight training, as well as DVD's like you mentioned. I think the hardest part is having technology available in the gym areas for use. It is a hassle for us to reserve a computer lab and also to make sure each student understands where they are meeting that day.

Educational technology in plain terms is using scientific and innovative tools to enhance student learning of the content. I have use and currently use Video technology, interactive websites, pedometers, heart rate monitors, etc. I would like to further my knowledge of ideas or implementing technology into physical education.

Educational technology, to me, is an area that provides support for both teachers and students. It can facilitate learning by improving students' ability to retain information, maximizing efficiency, addressing universal modes of learning and simply making the school experience more fun and interesting. I have experimented making instructional podcasts as a way of pre-teaching certain PE and sport specific skills, with varying degrees of success.
I am hoping to gain more confidence in my use of technology through this class. This should directly impact the manner in which my students learn.

Re: Re: Re: Discussion Number One (1)

I can definately relate to your story about the DVD player. I learned to make instructional podcasts, for my students to download on their ipods, by watching a 8th grader use garage band on the MAC's. After bugging the student for 30 minutes, he finally gave me a tutorial. Then, with some new found confidence, I used trial and error to develop my first instructional podcast.

Wow! Renee, you have a lot of tools at your finger tips. Do you use a PDA to help connect all of those tools and responsibilities? I just started using a Palm Handheld computer and love it. It assists me with many daily responsibilities.

To me educational technology is how technology supports education. In the 10 years I have been teaching the presence of technology is becoming more evident and the support technology provides is great. There are softwares available to encourage and track students' physical fitness levels. There are mediums, like power point presentations, web pages, etc., available to promote your curriculum and program goals. And there are support equipment like heart rate monitors and pedometers to motivate your students. The software, mediums and support equipment are the pieces to a great physical education program that utilizes technology at its best.

I would love to have a PDA. I am more interested in the turning point program. I will go to the web and do some research on it.

I would define the term "educational technology" as being any technology that enhances the educational process for students and or instructors. The technology could range from as simple as a pedometer that shows the number of steps taken to a pedometer that shows steps, distance, calories burned and time walking. It could also range to the more advanced with interfacing heart rate monitors on students while exercising for real time display of their heart rate and other vitals, utilizing a game system to increase interest in exercise (i.e. DDR and cycling games) or utilizing software for students to track their fitness, diet and exercise activities.

I have utilized pedometers in class, websites with BMI calculators, websites for lesson ideas, handheld for grading, and software programs to enhance my program with signs, activities and lessons. When coaching, I used handheld and software to track volleyball matches for a Varsity Volleyball Team.

I hope to gain more knowledge in the technologies that are available for PE teachers. I would like to find new technologies that I have not been exposed to yet and try to incorporate them into my teaching.

Educational technology is a term that any teacher should be somewhat familiar with at this point in time. Our lives revolve around technology and our students will be using it in all realms of their lives. Whether it is using a computer, wearing a heart rate monitor, using a pedometer or any other device, students are learning how to fit in to our fast paced society. In physical education, I have had the luxury of using technology in my classes. During our Healthy Steps unit, students learned how to use pedometers. During our fitness unit, students learn the basics of a heart rate monitor and why they are important. I have asked students to look up information on the computer at home and bring it into class. We have also brought a fun piece of technology into our gym classes by incorporating DDR (dance, dance, revolution). I hope that in taking this course, I am motivated to continue my quest to have a great physical education program. In doing so, I feel that incorporating technology is the way to go!

This message is in reply to Angela Capps. I too am amazed at the knowledge that children have today regarding technology. Even something as easy as pushing a button on a DVD player can be a challenge for some. My daughter is 8 and at times, she tells me what I am doing wrong. I am just learning the I-pod. I need to step it up to keep up with these kids!!

1 2 3 4 5