Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: iPads in the gym!

I totally agree with your thoughts about kids preferring to use the Ipad rather than participate in PE. I love the idea of having kids enter their own Fitnessgram scores! Now I just need an administrator who is willing to get us some Ipads to use in the gym!

Over the past year, I have been using my personal iPad during physical education class. What has been most useful is being able to input grades immediately into Genesis, which is our online grade book, rather than having to write down grades on paper and then input them into Genesis. I also have found that when students are performing the Fitnessgram tests, once again, it's easier and more convent to put their scores in as they complete each test. Another example of using iPads in the gym is being able to video students when they are performing skills and then providing immediate feedback to that student on what they can improve when performing the skill. I have also asked my colleagues to perform skills that they have mastered to show the proper form of the skill and then stream the video clip on an LCD projector from my iPad. I hope this information helps. :)

Hi Todd....although our school does have 2 iPad carts with 18 iPads each on them, it is hard to reserve them for PE. I have used my personal iPad for the following reasons. First of all, I use my iPad to videotape students performing a skill that I need to assess. I usually have the students work in small groups or at a station. Once I have all the student's performance of the skill, I can easily go back through to assess their progress. The iPad has the larger screen to view and it is not necessary to download to a computer to view. I also use the iPad to video and then provide instant feedback to a student or a group that is performing a certain skill or routine. I can video say a gymnastics routine, show the students immediately on the iPad so they can refine, and then show it again on a large screen by connecting the iPad to our projector. The kids love seeing themselves perform and it is an invaluable tool to help them correct their movement skills. Hope this helps!

Jan, what a great idea to use the Ipad to video and provide on the spot feedback to the students. I will definitely remember this idea.
Have a great day
Victor E Herrera

Students are more knowledgeable about technology now than a few years ago. iPads could be a great addition to the classroom. If all students have iPads they can research information on the spot as well as gather information for PE classes such as recording laps and times. If students are injured or sick, they could type information regarding the sport that others are playing while student is on the side line. If teachers have one iPad per classroom, they keep track of the students' data: times, attendance and grades. The iPads will help the teacher keep the information more organized and up-to-date.
I hope this helps.
Sincerely
Victor E Herrera

I think the use of Ipads in the gym is a great idea. I agree it will make it much easier to do everyday tasks such as record attendance and post grades, but I like the ideas the other people posted. Recording student form while completing a task is a great idea. I know their are Apps for baseball/softball swings so the student can see instantly where they are going wrong with their form. I am sure there are other apps for other sports. Sometimes being told they are doing something incorrect and watching themselves do something incorrect can make a big difference. Also, students can watch themselves correctly performing the tasks once they have mastered the skill. Another use would be to project images/videos for the students to watch. They sell a cable/cord that can connect the Ipad to a projector this way the student can see and hear a video that can be displayed on an open wall (problem is you need an Ipad, and a projector, and the cable,but if you have all three it works fantastic!)

That's sounds great. I would love to use the iPads our students have access to put as a pedometer app. it was to big to walk/run with and not to say too expensive if something should happen. Having the students record themselves and quickly display it on the projector sounds fun and educational. Can you tell me exactly what the wire is that you need you attach the iPad to projector and is sound produced when plugged in?