Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Use of Cell Phone Video for Peer Assessment

If you wanted to do peer assessment i think using a recording device is a great idea. It would allow students to be able to watch their peer perform a skill however many times they needed to in order to assess them properly. Would also allow you to be bale to go back and check to see if there assessment is accurate or not by watching the video recording yourself. This would help you as the teacher to assess whether or not your students did a good job assessing their own peers.

Cell phones would be great to use, but how do you assess them? Does just that one student watch the it on the phone? We have videotaped our students in the past, and we have found that using a video camera works best. That way, you can connect it to a projector and play it on a larger format for all students to see and evaluate. I'm sure it probably takes a little bit more time to prepare than a cell phone, but it has worked well for us, and the kids love to see themselves on the "big screen"!

I think that would be a great idea!! The kids love using their phones and posting to instagram. I use my Ipad to film and evaluate my students. Students then review from my Ipad. I also will post video to my blog. I will definitely try this. Kids are usually fair and accurate when it comes to evaluating eachother.

I agree the students like to be the teacher is some cases. They like to be in charge of their own learning by filming and assessing their peers. I also agree they are honest in their opinions in telling their partner what they need to work on and what went well in their performance. Through the use of video analysis it validates what the peer assessment finds, so the performer can not argue over their performance as the "tape doesn't lie".

I work in an elementary school, so cell phone use is rare. However, I have four Ipads that my students first through fifth grade have used for assessment. I have the rubric displayed on the wall and after the student's practice their skill they ask another student to film them. After the filming, the students reviews their performance and practices again. I even have apps called I Coacher and Coach My Video that is a video analysis app allows the students to watch in regular mode, pause, slow motion both forward and backwards,reverse,and fast forward. There are drawing tools where the students can draw on the image and assess what went right or wrong with their performance. Video analysis has also been made through use of my iPod touch in the video mode. My students were very familiar with this process and had little to no issues assisting them in the recording process.

I also work at an elementary school and use an iPad to video tape gymnastic routines. I use the video to show the students what they are doing correctly and incorrectly when performing. They sit with me and watch the video as I explain why they received the score they did. I am going to try to obtain some more iPads this year to use for a peer assessment of their routine. My hope is to let the peer assessment count for a small percentage of their grade giving the students an incentive to try harder.

Our school became wireless this year so all students are allowed to use cell phones in school is teachers allow them for the activity. We used cell phone video for self-assessment and peer-assessment and it worked great. We also use it in analyze the correct techniques for our strength room. We video each student at certain station and then project it on a projector and show what they did correctly or incorrectly in the lift.

I think peer-assessment of the video works the best because both students are teaching each other what needs to be worked on and how they can improve their techniques.

I think using video recorders to photo or analyze peers in the classroom is a great idea. When you can show students what they are doing incorrectly/correctly, they will believe it more often than if you just tell them they are doing it wrong. The Varsity basketball coach in my district used a program called Krossover this year which recording games and split the game film up into different sections (fast breaks, turnovers, players) and was great to show the players because they were visually able to see what they did right or wrong. The only suggestion I have is that before you photograph/video any students in class, notify the parents to protect you from any future problems.

For me, it begins with the school policy on the use of pictures and videos with a personal device. I know that some parents have signed off on no pictures or videos of their child. I have students who are injured use technology to earn their points. I give them a few topics and turn them loose to be creative with their presentations. It is neat to see what they come up with.

Greetings!

One of our units at the high school is golf. The major golf project for my 11th graders is to record and analyze their golf swing. They have a peer record from multiple ( safe) angles and then they analyze the swing based off the cues that are given in class. It was very successful and the students loved using the school provided ipads. Some students brought in their own devices to do the recording too. The analysis was a written document that was based off the components they were assessed on during their skill assessment. Perhaps in the future I can distribute random student recordings throughout their class and have them analyze different students! That would enable students to peer assess and reinforce the skill!