Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interactive devices in a low budget school district

My PE program went through a PE curriculum revision. Within the revision we looked at our dance unit. We decided to add exergaming aspect to involve our 21st century learners in a PE setting. We decided to purchase XBOX with kinect, the wireless motion detected exergaming system. In addition we researched the both dance and fitness games that would allow the whole class to participate in an interactive way. If you could add a revision to your curriculum the funds can be paid for. The PTA also funded additional games for the students to participate in along with a projector and big screen. There are also grants out there you might be eligible especially in you work in a lower-income district or you work with a large number of students.

Have you tried to go to the PTA and see if they have any funding for the material that you would like to purchase. Also, have you tried fundraising such as a hot-shot contest, a dance, or a 5k race. I think their are many different ways that you can raise money for a Wii. You could find a Wii for a decent price so you will not have to raise that much money for it. Also, you will be surprised if you let the kids or parents know you need a Wii for PE lessons that there might be someone who donates one to the school for a Tax Write-off.

Hi Lisa,

I totally understand that your district is in a bit of a bind when it comes to shelling out money for P.E. equipment. I have used the Dance Dance Revolution game before and it definitely burns calories and gets your blood pumping. You can find used Playstation/Xbox/Wii systems on amazon or on websites such as Gamestop.com. On the gamestop website the bundle (game and dance mat) is only $29.99. The game itself is as low as $0.99. The dance mat can be found for $13.00 on amazon as well. The used XBOX 360 console and controller set is $70.00 on amazon too.
If you cant come up with the money for these, you can do fundraisers such as the Y-Tie shoelaces. I did this fundraiser with my school and you pay NOTHING to participate in the fundraiser. The Y-Tie company sends you all the supplies and instructions and it is a great deal. These are shoelaces that dont need to be tied in order to tighten, just pull on them to tighten. We sold each pair of laces for $5.00 and kept $2.50 from each pair! Hope this information helps.

The district I work for is also low on funds but the PTO does have money and has helped buy objects in the past. So maybe check with them. Also the PTO did a fundraiser that involved walking around the track, while a live band played. The students raised money by just asking for donations. They were able to raise a few thousand dollars this way but didn't meet the school goal. This year I was asked to help boost donations and will get a few dollars to spend on equipment. So maybe try fundraising with the help of the PTO

I am in a district with 90% poverty rate. In the past couple years we had new superintendent and administration. Luckily they did upgrade the districts technology. We were way behind. We have had discussions in our department and PLC's about Title 1 funds to update equipment. We have just gotten used to the upgrades so far but we are looking into those funds too. We are fortunately next to a hospital. WE have thought about asking them for equipment or money to help. Any suggestions for my school would be greatly appreciated. Thanks