Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number Five (5)

Sandee,
I coach girls basketball and we enter a lot of tournaments. I can check my phone for bracket updates. It is nice when the tournament director is quick at updating the site. I have chased down many directors to ask about our next game only to find out they went to another building. I can also check on other teams and watch their progress just in case we end up playing them. I remember when the tournament director had to call every team entered in the tournament. Sometimes there were over 50 teams playing at once! Technology saves us a lot of time!

Telecommunications is the way you send information over distances. Telecommunications is such a broad category. I have experienced anything from cell phones to email to certain specific networks. Telecommunications can be used in the field of PE as a resource for teachers. I use the internet periodically to get ideas and data concerning specific lessons that I teach in class. Telecommunications is here to stay. Therefore, it is my responsibility as an educator to learn how to use any the many different facets of telecommunications.

Telecomunications in my school is useful as far as the administrators with each other. They all use Nextels. I had a personal Nextel until the last year and had access to all administrators when I needed them. I was also used as a watch dog for kids who were outside of the school who did not belong when we were all the fields during class. The cell phones are useful when we are outside of the school for communicating an injury when we need the Health Office or even 911. Yes we need to call them at least 4 times in the last 2 years. Nothing fatel thank goodness. We also have walkie talkies with the health office. They are pretty quick with the wheel chair when we need them. Their are also phones in everyroom that do have access to inside extentions and outside lines. As far as coaching, the athletic trainers have cell phones, they can not be on all the fields all the time and it is very helpful to communicate with the trainer when they are needed.

Telecommunications: Communicating with other people electronically. Within our school and the entire school system we are constantly communicating all kinds of information and notices using e-mail and listserv. Results of department chair meetings and information from the central office Physical Education Director is conveyed by listserv to the physical educators in my department.

Additionally, the cell phone has become an essential device for all professionals to maintain. With our Physical Education classes held in different locations cell phones are used for communicating instructions and, if necessary, the need for an administrator or medical assistance.

The listserv could be used for e-mailing motivational messages and information to my players. I don't know for sure, but I suspect they all have an e-mail address (duh!). Additionally, e-mailing statistics and pictures from a game being scouted of your next opponent would be advantageous. Use the cell phone to take pictures of players during a game to get an idea of size (along with stats from opponents program).

Telecommications:
Our school uses e-mail to communicate with all faculty. We are not allowed to use cellphones in school, so our only means of communication is the office phone or e-mails.
In our athletic program, we use walkie-talkies, because cellphones are not allowed. It would make more sense to use cellphones, because when someone gets hurt, we have to take them to the trainers office and there we use a school phone for a parent call and/or ambulance.

My experience with telecommunications includes the use of landline telephone,cell phone, controlling switchboards at jobs in the past (1960's!),use of computer systems with internet capabilities and emials. I think that in physical education the main thrust for me would be in talking to fellow teachers and administrators. Being able to be in contact with my department and sharing ideas, comments and problems makes me feel connected. As the only PE teacher in an elementary school,my time is mainly spent with everyone under 11 years old.
The use of walkie talkies also keeps me in communication with the office.I would also like to purchase a palm device to keep me files in order adn communicate my ideas efficiently.

Telecommunications involves the transfer of signals, messages, or general information from one person/place to another. A few examples are the telephone, walkie-talkie, radio, and/or intercom system.

The telephone can be used to locate students throughout the school or to contact parents when having discipline problems in PE class. The walkie-talkie is a great safety tool. When a PE class is out in the field, it is important to be able to reach the nurse or principal in case of an emergency. It can also be used during a track meet to rotate participants to the next event. The radio is also a bonus in PE class. Students get motivate to workout or participate when they listen to their favorite music. Lastly, an intercom system is another way to locate students in the school building. It can also be used to announce the champion of a tournament or student of the month in PE class.

I believe that telecommunications is the transfer of information through the use of any electrical device such as telephone, telegraph, computer, for the benefit of man kind. My experiences to date are mostly of using the telephone. For 15 years as a college coach i used the telephone to communicate and build relationships with my recruits and their parents. I never trusted the computer and as a result i never sent one recruit an e-mail or any correspondence through the internet. I always believed that i could get a true connection and understand that person completely while on the phone. The tone of their voice, excitement, dissapointment could all be detected while on the phone. I really believe it was one of the main reasons why i made it to the NCAA tournament three times in the past 6 seasons. After transfering from the elementary school to the high school i have been forced to start to use the computer for my administration. i am starting to get become more comfortable with e-mail, but i have a long way to go. As for phys. ed. this type of forum is great. This has been the best part of the class so far. It is fun seeing what other teachers and coaches are doing all over the country. Bobby Herodes

Re: Re: Discussion Number Five (5)

ELK:
Do you have walkie-talkies supplied to you for use by your district? Did you have to purchase them from your Phy Ed budget or was it purchased by the district as part of their safety plan?
Also, what level are you teaching at? I teach high school and we are currently lobbying for walkie talkies for each of the three teachers in our department. I currently use my cell phone for outside purposes only, since it does not get reception inside the cell block building. If I have to call from the outside I get the automated telephone line which in some instances has not connected me to a person in the building--a huge safety issue. In the school, we do not have phones in the gym, but do have them in the offices connected to the gyms.

I think telecommunications is any way we communicate thoughts, ideas, feelings, and information through a means that uses technology. This could include but is not limited to; the telephone, computers and all of it's associations; cameras, televisions, radios, satellite technology, and all the other ways my feeble mind does not yet know about.
I currently use telecommunications for taking courses, communicating with others on a daily basis at work and at home in and out of state, listening in on teleconferences, sending mail, retrieving information, paying bills, and I can't forget, checking in on the pandas at the National Zoo in Wahington, DC.
I would like to see every student have a physical education file on the school network that is used for a fitness portfolio. I would like to see the student, PE teachers and parents have access to it. I would like it to be accessible from both home and school so that information can be input and retrieved for hte convenience of all involved. It would cut down on the paperwork of fitness journals. I would not have to load 50-75 journals into a box to carry home every two weeks to grade.

Following a google search for the definition of telecommunications, acponline.org defines it as, " The use of wires, radio, optical, or other electromagnetic channels to transmit or receive signals for voice, data, and video communications."
My experiences with telecommunications has been through the use of telephones and cell phones, text messaging, emails, internet, and two -way hand radios within my physical education department.
The two-way radios in our department are used daily. We use them to communicate between teachers during classes and to the nurse/main office when needed. They have also been used in emergency situations at our school, during code blues and reds. During a code red (lock down), we email our attendance to the main office where security is checking to make sure all are accounted for and safe.
In physical education we also use the school website to communicate
up coming events, students grades, and homework assignments.
I have used links to professional organizations to find information on lessons, upcoming workshops, and to chat with other Phys. Ed. teachers. If you have a question it can be answered in some way by the use of telecommunications.
I would not be typing you this response right now if it weren't for telecommunications.

Telecommunication is communicating with others over a distance. For example via, email, conference by phone, webcam, telephone, and a radio. I have some experience with telecommunications. I email staff, parents, and students. I call home on students if I feel their grade is slipping. Our department would like to use 2-way radios to keep in contact with each other if one of us is out far from any main buildings (ex. the fields). We would like to use two-way radios, but our administration says that we can not because of reasons between the school police. Do any PE teachers use two-way radios to keep in contact with each other on their site??? Have you ever been told that you can not do this because your radio could interfere with the district police radios???

Our PE department is very interested in using 2-way radios for the same purposes that your dept. uses them. Are your 2-way radios separate from the school’s radios? Do you ever have any interference with your radio and the school’s radio?

Telecommunication is communication over a distance using some signal or medium. Examples include TV, telephone, Internet, Radio... I, as most people use telecommuncation everyday, and am dependent upon this technology. In the class room, we use telecommunications probably about everyday. From students being on the Interent, to showing video from the United Streaming web-site, telecommunications is a critical part of education, and esstential for me as a teacher and coach.

Telecommunication involves communication over a distance by methods such as cables,satellite,radio, etc.
Our most common method of communication is through email. In our busy society, it seems to be the fastest way to get through to other teachers, administrators, and parents.
In PE, if we go outdoors I always bring my cell phone with me in case we have an emergency so I can call "911" without delay.

Hi Janelle! We use 2 way radios in PE and they are such a pain because the channel that we are supposed to be on is also used by the administration and security so the thing squaks all day long.
And the static drives me crazy. Trust me, you don't want one of these. They are fun to fool around on, for example you can talk to somone who is standing right next to you on it, or send someone to the office when they don't have to go for fun but other than that I have been looking for a reason to get rid of mine, so I will try the police interference idea. Thanks!

Telecommunications is a tool used to transfer words, thoughts, ideas, and agendas quickly from a distance. Email is used often at work between parents and faculty. It is an easy way to talk without actually dialing or beating around the bush with small talk. In PE we are supposed to use 2 way radios all the time in case of an emergency. Anytime I ever really needed to use it, there was no one who picked up. I once had a girl pass out in the weightroom. There is no phone in the weightroom and it is located in separate building from the actual school. Every door in our school is locked except for the front door which is a 1/4 mile away from the weightroom. If we are going to be required to have these on us, someone needs to answer in the nurses office when there is an emergency. It seems like every kid in our school has a cell phone. They text each other all day long. I once polled my last period class to see how many text messages they sent that day, one kid sent 98. It is a huge problem and can become a very confrontational issue,especially if they are on the phone with their parents. I think they should be banned from school totally. Students cheat, start rumors, take pictures, record conversations, but our administration thinks that as long as a student does not have it "on" then it is ok to have it in school. What ever happend to, "Can I call my mom from the main office?"

"The transmission, between or among points specified by the user, of information of the user's choosing, without change in the form or content of the information as sent and received."
www.cio.noaa.gov/itmanagement/508_Glossary.html
Such things inlcude phones, walkie talkies, television, radio, etc. Our school has nextel two ways which are only used by the adminstrators and custodians for communication purposes. Every classroom in my building has a telephone in which calls are made within the school and local phone calls may be made. The only suggestion we've made as a department is to have walkie-talkies for when we utilize the fields, as it is far from the building in case an emergency occurs, but we usually bring our private cell phones just in case.

Telecommunication is basically any form of communication through the use of technology (ie. email, phones, pagers...etc.). I use email on a daily basis at work and home (most days). That is our primary form of communication at work. We also have voice mail at work but don't use it as often anymore. Email is so much quicker and convenient.

As a physical education teacher in our district, we are not fortunate enough to have common planning time. So we use email quite often to be able to communicate and stay on the same page with fellow PE teachers. I have also used email to stay connected with former cohort students.

I am not sure what the proper definition of telecommunication is but I define it as other ways to communicate with people besides a phone line. I use a two- way radio when I go outside to make sure that I am able to communicate with our nurse or behavior teacher. I also bring my cell phone with me whenever I go outside incase the radio is not working.

Telecommunications is way of communicating with someone either by phone, email, fax or now teleconferencing. I have had expeirences with the first three, and do this on a daily basis, with the exception of the faxing.
Our district is pushing for us to have a late start every Monday during the school year to meet with the other middle school in our district. I think that if we could tele conference, this would save a great deal of time traveling to and from the other middle school. It could also be a great way to go to a convention, listen to an expert in area. That is, you could hook up via the internet and watch and learn and particpate in your own work/living area.
I think there is a huge potential for this to happen.

I understand telecommunications is the use of electronic devices to communicate information. I have experience with use of the phone (land and cell), internet and e-mail as forms of communication.

Virtual reality physical education could be an application of telecommunications in the future. I could see students using virtual reality technology and having the information from the practice or activity sessions recorded. The virtual reality information is downloaded into the computer and the participant receives a video feedback and analysis that improves the skills.

Telecommunication is a way of sharing your ideas with other people using, telephones, cables, satelite, and computers. My experiences have been limited to phones, internet, and faxes. In our PE department we do have two-way radios to use when we go outside for emergencies. The office staff and nurse also is connected with us. I believe telecommunication is going to become a big part of schools before long. Video confencing is used in the business world a lot and it hasn't really caught on in the educational world yet but could solve a lot of promblems for teachers and coaches.

Telecommunications is the exchange of data between two points. The could be text, pictures, voice or video. I use e-mail everyday (to colleagues, friends, family, soccer players/parents, sometimes faxes at work, text messaging, e-mailing of pictures from my digital camera.

Other ways I could potentially use telecommunication is using text messaging to cancel soccer practices if I did not have acess to a computer. I could use my digital camera and e-mail pictures to my soccer players as well.

Karen,

We also use walkie talkies to communicate to the office when we are outside for class or recess duty. I know that they were very expensive to purchase but they are used throughout the district. I would prefer to use my cell phone also mainly because of the convenience of carrying it. The walkie talkies are large and heavy. They aren't comfortable to wear in a pouch so I just carry it outside with me and hold it.

Telecomunnication is the science and technology of communications at a distance by electronic transmission of impulses, such as by telegraph, telephone, radio or television. It is the foundation for the Internet and all of the emerging activities surrounding the Internet's activities. Telecommunications is the transmission of information by wire, radio, optical cable, electromagnetic, or other means.
www.dis.wa.gov/portfolio/Definitions.htm

In my job I use a variety of telecommunications. I used e-mail daily, for coaching, teaching, communication between staff, updates to students/staff, etc. I also rely on sending documents to other coach's for tournaments, jamboree's or any other large function I am hosting so they can have the information before the day of the tournament.

Phones and faxes are used during my day also. I use them to place orders for uniforms, PE equipment, parent communications, or important documents that are requested by companies.

Telecommunications is a huge part of my daily life.

I use e-mail everyday to communicate a ton of information to a huge amount of teachers, administrators, staff, parents, and resources. I also use two-way radios to communicate with staff during large physical education events I organize for my students. I have also used PowerPoint with digital pictures to send to administrators of student progress or activities. Keeps them in touch with what’s going on in PE class.

Telecommunications is conversing with a distant someone via a technological means. Phones, cable and computers are all examples of telecommunications. Besides probably taking telecommunications for granted the only thing that bothered me was learning how to e-mail in college. I had no interest in "talking" with someone over the Internet. If I had something to say, I called. Ten years later, nothing has really changed, I still prefer to "talk", but I now see the value in e-mail. I also like having an e-board as a sounding board for my parents and students to venture on. It provides communication on my terms and on theirs which is nice when a phone call is at times just not working.

I agree!! I like hearing a person and believe feel more connected to them. I also do not have the time to learn the new "lingo" when e-mailing. I am lucky that I know that "lol" means "laugh on-line". I think that is all I know.

Telecommunications is transmitting information over large distances for the purpose of communicating. Telephone, radio, TV, the internet and local networks are current avenues of telecommunication. I have used all of the above avenues personally and some professionally. Using the telephone and email to communicate with parents about their child's progress is essential. TV and the internet can be used in PE for student assignments. One could also utilize telecommunications for participating in a seminar or class where the individual cannot attend personally. This could be most useful in professional development.

Telecommunications is "science and technology of distance communication by electronics ie:telephone, radio, TV, cable,etc."
It has become an important means of passing on information to parents of athletes at our school. We use an athletic hotline everyday. This gives parents daily information about schedules,weather cancellations and transportation.
A phone system that has been installed in four different areas in the gymnasium has become a important feature for both school and community sporting events...particularly for emergency situations.
We are also looking into purchasing trac phones for the outdoor coaches to use so they have a quick and relible method of contacting the school or medical services

I really like the idea of two-way radios. I had the unfortunate experience of having one of my student athletes suffer a medical emergency out on the field, which is off-campus.
We are looking into trac phones but perhaps two-way radios would make more sense from a budgetary standpoint.

Sounds like you are a coach and or Athletic Director. Can you give more detail on the hotline. How does it work? Is it a web page or phone line? What are Trac phones? I am very interested in these tools because I too organize and facilitate large sport skills events for students with disabilities.
Thanks, Ben

I regard telecommunication as any form of messaging or contact an individual can make using some form of electronic medium.
At our school, we regularly communicate on an inter and intra deparmental basis using email.
We schedule department meetings using email and regularly communicate with guidance and deans with regard to student progress.all staff members have their own personal cell phones which they take with them when students go outdoor playing fields should any injuries or emergencies occur.
A I am also the Athletic Trainer at the school I have a school issued nextel phone/walkie Talkie which I use for communication with school administration.
As some of the other postings mentioned, we are almost all at the point where we do not know how to function without at least a celphone and email account but there are times when I would not mind beig able to turn them off for awhile!

Defined on wikipedio.org, "telecommunications" is the assisted trasmission of signals over a distance for the purpose of communication. The basic elements include a transmitter that takes information and converts it to a signal, a transmission medium that carries the signal, and a receiver that receives the signal and converts it back to useable information.
Obviously, I've used a telephone, internet, radio, and television...all of which are considered telecommunications. Some of the potential applications in physical education could include tele-"conferencing" between colleagues. My school district is in the process of implementing a peer collaboration schedule. All the teachers of each grade level (or specialty) meet twice a month to review curriculum, student progress, etc. To avoid meeting in one location, we could "video conference" from our individual schools (rooms) with others during this time.
Also, I think it wouuld be GREAT if students could interact with other students from different states, countries, and/or continents via email, internet, and/or video conferencing. Students could perform a skill they are learning in class and "teach" a new skill or lesson to another class or culture.
It might also benefit students to "compare" what they are learning with other states, countries, etc. I know some PE programs across the US have implemented rollerblading and outdoor adventure actvities into the curriculum. It would be great for my students to see these types of activities and have other students explain what they are learning...via telecommunications.
Or...we could transmit data between schools (such as comparing heart rates or steps on our pedometers) during a unit. Students could track their progress relative to other students, schools, states, etc.

Telecommunications is any form of communications with someone else. The major form of communications we use in physical education classes is our walkie talkie. When I take the students biking it is very helpful if we have an emergency. I suppose we could also use phones when we are coaching cross country to let coaches now where the runners are in races.

Telecommunications is the passing of data from one point to another. There are many forms of telecommunications out there for use in all different types of settings. The use of cell phones and e-mail really make my life as a coach much easier. Calling a student athlete, e-mailing or even text messaging them really makes it easy to get in contact with your players in a matter of minutes. It is great when you have information regarding practice or you just want to keep in contact during the off season. The internet is an amazing universe filled with massive amounts of information at your disposal. It really makes researching topics, planning lessons and creating web activities for your students an easy task. I have often used the fax machine to contact vendors and receive quotes for merchandise needed to run my classes. At school we have a telecommunications system that allows us to have two voicemail accounts. One is used as a regular voicemail box and the other as a homework hotline that you can post assignments on and students can call and get assignments. As you can see there are many different forms of telecommunication tools available for your use.

Ryan - I like your idea of using telecommunication (TV, internet, etc.) for students unable to attend class - for whatever reason. We all have students missing class for one reason or another. Many times it is during an instuctional section of a unit. It would great to have some type of web cast or video link that our students could log on to and watch the lesson they missed. They could be held accountable by completing an online quiz regarding the skill or skills being taught or complete a review session with the teacher when they return to class (showing the teacher the skill)

Telecommunications is any communication by electronic means. Some examples of such communication are land line phones, voice mail, cell phones, e-mail, fax machines, and the Internet. I have had experience with all the above forms of communication. I have only had a cell phone for two years, but now I never leave home without it. I have recently started to use my e-mail daily, either just checking it or replying to new mail.
I see many applications for telecommunications in physical education. The response time to discuss an issue with another colleague or parent has been minimized. Cell phones can be utilized for safety when outdoors with my classes. I have also used our school fax machine to receive a confirmation date on a guest speaker for my Health classes. Lastly, the Internet has given me a wealth of information to enhance my teaching style and improve student performance.

I like your idea of an athletic hotline. You are providing parents with important information about schedules, weather cancellations and transportation in a timely and efficient manner.

Telecommunications is a form of relaying information from one source to another over a distance. Today computers are the key to telecommunications more so than even the telephone. Students still communicate with each other by cell phone, but more and more these cell phones are becoming mini computers rather than the traditional phone. Communication can be done verbally, texting, and now with video, from one party to another.The possibilities are endless and the world is getting smaller because more and more people can quickly be accessed. My experience with telecommunication has been through my daughters eyes. She uses text messaging and instant messaging to communicate with her friends instantly. I have used email to communicate with parents on grades and to inform students and parents of class activities. Our school is working on video conferencing which will aloow teachers to communicate instantly from one class to another with real time video and voice. We will also be producing our morning announcements through video conferencing so that all students on campus can hear and see the people delivering the announcements. In PE, students would be able to participate in forums that have PE concerns or specialists, be able to ask questions from the specialists, and interact with the speaker.A teacher could get information immediately for an issue or help immediately even from a remote part of campus. The feeling of isolation would be reduced because the teacher would always be in contact witht the office and other teachers on campus.

Similar to your site we are inthe process of implementing video conferencing. I like the idea of departments meeting via video reducing the "meeting" time. I also think this could be extended between schools within a district and in my case from middle to high school or elementary to middle school for matriculation. Just think how smooth the transition would be for our students fitness wise and expectations wise if we all talked about what is happening at each level.

Telecommunication is the extension of communication over a distance. It includes radio, telegraphy, television, telephony, data communication and computer networking. I have used every form of telecommunication listed above. Listing to the radio in the car, faxing someone, text someone, watching television, using the telephone, and the use of a computer are things that I do on an everyday basis. Email is a great form of telecommunication for physical education and coaching. Using email to inform students/parents of their progress is a great way to keep parents involved in their son/daughters lives.

Gillian, video conferencing that is awesome. Like you said the world is getting smaller. How does your school budget for something like that? Good luck and I must say that I am very jealous.

Telecommunications is communicating over a distance using anything from signals to electronic devices. Some of my experiences with telecommunciations comes from the television, radio, internet, cell & home phone and computer. In physical education and coaching, you can use the computer by emailing players/students and you can use the telephone to communicate. We use a walkie talkie to communicate with the staff when we are outside. There is also video conferencing that could be used in physical education when trying to communicate with another school or coach.

Telecommunications to me is using technology to communicate with someone or something. I believe it is a subset of the bigger picture of technology and has many smaller parts to it.
I have a small amount of experience with this area of technology, the most obvious being email. Approximately 10-15 times per day, I log into the email program our school district uses. My Groupwise account allows me to easily communicate with any other person in our district and also to outside email addresses. There is a tremendous amount of communication accomplished this way in our district on a daily basis. Whenever our Groupwise system is down, even for an hour, there is a great deal of anger and anxiety among our staff.
Other than email, I have participated in online chat sessions as well as a video conference for a previous job. Both of these methods of communicating allowed me to 'talk' to someone I certainly would not have ever met face to face otherwise.
Having the ability to video conference in Physical Education would be very exciting for myself and my students. We could talk with other PE classes, famous athletes, or with personal trainers eager to motivate my students. The novelty would be enough to motivate most of my students. For those tech-savvy kids not impressed with the technology, I am certain the message on the other end would be enough to excite them about class.

Telecommunications include service such as e-mail, fax, voice mail, listservs, newsgroups, discussion groups, chat sessions, chat conferencing, audio conferencing and video conferencing.

I have had experience with e-mail, fax, voice mail, listservs, and discussion groups.

This could be a way to get students to discuss topics that you would like to teach. They would be able to think deeper about the topic and argue their position.

Telecommunications is a technological way of communicating to an individual or group of people.

The experiences I have with telecommunications include the use of email, instant messanger, cell phones, internet forums, and fax machines.

A group of teachers talking about what they are currently teaching, department grading procedures, and related issues is one potential way I could see telecommunications being used effectively in physical education. Knowing what other school districts in the near communities, cities, and states are doing in their physical education class can provide vital information to deal with situations in your own classroom. Plus, the sharing of new ideas that work can help keep the students on their toes as what is to be expected when they walk into the field house.

I like the idea of using video conferencing to talk with other PE classes, famous athletes, or personal trainers. It may be easier for an athlete or personal trainer to communicate to the class via internet than physically coming to the field house. Also, the idea of talking to other PE classes would show my students that they are not the only ones doing the activities I prepare for them. Studnets can talk about what they are learning and discuss the benefits of daily physical activity. This is defenitely something I am thinking of starting by trying to incorporate it once throughout the year.

Telecommunication refers to any type of data transfer between two points. During my first year of teaching (ten years ago), the district began using email and assigning email addresses to each teacher. During that year, we also each got assigned a teacher computer. Due to those two professional changes, I began using Email as my main form of telecommunication. Through the years, I have used this method to communicate with colleagues, administrators, and parents to express information about various topics. I find this method of communication to be very useful and necessary to my teaching position. When attempting to contact an individual by phone, it is usually very difficult to find a time to connect. Email allows one to communicate at a time that is convenient for him/her.

In the future, I would like to use listservs more as a method of communication. I feel that these tools are invaluable to teaching professionals. They allow one to receive information that is specific to their concentration. In addition, some of them allow one to participate in discussion groups where an exchange of information about a given topic can be exchanged.

I would like for my students to connect with a Key Pal. This would allow them to communicate with other students throughout the country or even throughout the world about concerns, joys, or experiences in physical education.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What is telecommunications? What experiences have you had with telecommunications? Describe some potential applications for telecommunications in physical education or coaching.

Post your answer as a "reply" to this message unless you are responding to another student's comment, in which case you should post your comment as a "reply" to that student's comment.

I have worked in two school districts as a PE teacher. In my first position, we were given two-way radios to use when out on the fields. We usually did not encounter interference with other radios. At one time, we did have to change the channels on the radios because some students began bringing two-way radios to school and interfered on our radios.

At my current teacher position, we do not have two-way radios. I believe this is due to funding. We are told to take our cell phones with us when teaching outside.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Telecommunication is communicating with others over a distance. For example via, email, conference by phone, webcam, telephone, and a radio. I have some experience with telecommunications. I email staff, parents, and students. I call home on students if I feel their grade is slipping. Our department would like to use 2-way radios to keep in contact with each other if one of us is out far from any main buildings (ex. the fields). We would like to use two-way radios, but our administration says that we can not because of reasons between the school police. Do any PE teachers use two-way radios to keep in contact with each other on their site??? Have you ever been told that you can not do this because your radio could interfere with the district police radios???

1 2 3 4